Digital Adaptors for LCD Monitors

Sketch 22:47 22 May 2003

Here's an interesting pondering that I just had whilst watching a DVD on my PC.......

My graphics card (Radeon 9700 Pro) has two output connections. One for analog and one for digital. It was also supplied with an adaptor that could convert the digital connection into another analog one.

My TFT LCD monitor is analog, which when you have a look at what the asking price for a digital one is, you'll understand why!

Would it not be possible to convert an analog signal into a digital one via a similar addition to the back of my monitor?

I was just curious as to how feasible an idea like this is....

It's probably madness. But if it can be converted one way....... then surely..........

SKETCH

bfoc 23:05 22 May 2003

But, for me, the question would be why bother?

A 'pure' digital signal should produce better results since it has not undergone a 'conversion' process. Once it is analogue you can't convert it back to the original digital signal, that has 'gone'. All you would do is convert it to the digital 'equivalent' of an analogue signal.

So, one would go from digital in the graphics card, conversion to analogue then conversion back to a digital analogue signal. Each conversion would, probably, lower the quality so you would end up with a '3rd generation' digital signal probably worse than the '2nd generation' analogue one!

My LG1710B has both digital and analogue inputs and my radeon AIW 9000 has digital out. I have tried it both as 'pure' digital and through the converter. The digital is noticeably crisper and clearer, to my eye at least!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?