Difficulty starting my laptop

bristolgirl 09:54 26 Jan 2007

Hi
When I start up my laptop for the 1st time in the day, it all loads up great! But then when I try to open a browser (either FireFox or IE) then it just seems to hang (I hope that is the correct term).
If I Ctrl-Alt-Del, it doesn't show that anything is running. I then try restarting the Laptop and it goes through a very long task of showing the "end task" windows.
I eventually ariive at the "shutting down" screen but then nothing and the only way I can resolve the problem is by hitting the on/off button and the re-booting.
At this stage, everything loads and I can use my browsers.
I have downloaded System Mechanic Professional 7 to fix any registery keys that may have been corrupted but this still hasn't fixed the problem.

I have also now run scannow sfc. No problems appeared.

Any ideas please! Now desperate!

FatboySlim71 10:25 26 Jan 2007

When did you notice it starting to do this. Has this just happened after you have installed something new, if it has try uninstalling the program, if that doesnt work then it may be a good idea to a system restore to an earlier date when you know the Laptop worked fine and see if this solves it.

To do a system restore do the following, go into Control Panel/performance & Maintenance, on the left handside under where it says SEE ALSO there should be SYSTEM RESTORE shown, click on this and on the window that appears choose RESTORE MY COMPUTER TO AN EARLIER DATE, and choose a date if possible that you know your Laptop worked fine, just remember that you should backup any work etc that you have put on your Laptop from that date until now.

bristolgirl 17:16 26 Jan 2007

Thanks for your help FS!

I have followed your advice and once again keeping my fingers crossed that this has solved the problem.

I will not know until I shut down my laptop and power up again.

Thanks again

Heather

bristolgirl 09:44 29 Jan 2007

Just to let you know, I am still trying to fix this problem. I am going further and further back with SYSTEM RESTORE.

I did have the message from McAfee AV, "Some Components of ActiveShield are misssing or might not have been installed properly".

I also, besides not being able to open a browser, the 1st time I switch my laptop on, cannot run scannnow. But all still works successuflly, after pressing the on/off button to crash it.

Still, really confused by this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:51 29 Jan 2007

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

bristolgirl 10:59 29 Jan 2007

Wow Thanks Fruit Bat. What a lot of helpful info!

Whilst it's defintely worth my while checking this out, I have probably made myself really unclear.

My problem is not really shutting down my laptop (although this does occur as a result of my problem) but not being able to open my browsers (firefox of IE), the first time I switch my laptop on in the day.

I then cannot shut down.

Can you help again? I really do appreciate it!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 29 Jan 2007

If you are pressing on off button to crash it because it will not shut down , then you will corrupt system files hence the startup and browser problems.

Boot into safe mode (F8 during start up) and type

sfc /scannow (watch the space before /)

in the run box press enter and let it replace corrupt files.

If that does nothing then borrow an XP CD and do a repair install.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

bristolgirl 18:36 29 Jan 2007

Oh No! Thanks FruitBat, I really do appreciate your help, truly. But it looks like another one that I am going to have to get my head around (really difficult for me).

I have asked MicroSoft for a copy of servicepack 2. Will this do? Apparently it takes up to 6 weeks.

Thanks again, what would I do without this site? Wish you were all here with me!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?