Difficulty reformating

cara 14:31 29 Nov 2004

Have bought my brothers Mesh PC - and am trying to reformat

Thinking it would be simple with the recovery disk (like my Evesham - just put in the disk choose the approp. option and it was restored to its condition as on arrival with everything wiped) - I used the Mesh recovery disk, waited an hour and in fact it had only reinstalled XP, not wiped the hard drive.

Trying via explorer, right clicking on C drive, then format but it tells me cannot do and to check progs running, and any windows showing contents of C drive?

I have removed as many of the installed progs as poss. Does not seem anything left to remove.

The only other thing is he does have 2 users set up.

I know you will have the answer! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Cara

ACOLYTE 15:04 29 Nov 2004

Yes windows is running so you cant format it like that ,it wont commite suicide so to speak,You need to boot from a floppy,or the cd and format/fdisk from there.

plsndrs3 15:19 29 Nov 2004

You can do this via a DOS promp [press f5 or del I believe when starting up] with "format:C" -no speech marks.

If you have deleted all the programs that you possibly don't need, why not just clean the registry out with Regclean click here file_description/0,fid,4666,00.asp and then ccleaner to get rid of any leftovers click here

Might be a better solution?

HTH

Paul

cara 15:21 29 Nov 2004

Oh dear - this sounds over my head! Is this simple to explain step by step or are the instructions on the internet somewhere?

cara 15:23 29 Nov 2004

Thanks Paul, I will keep your suggestion in reserve failing all else. Really want to completely format though

plsndrs3 15:30 29 Nov 2004

click here productdoc/en/format.asp

click here? scid=kb;en-us;313348

Second one might be better :o)

Paul

plsndrs3 15:36 29 Nov 2004

The correct address for the second item is :

h tt p://support.microsoft.com default.aspx? scid=kb;en-us;302686

just cut & paste in the address bar & remove the spaces!

Paul

plsndrs3 15:40 29 Nov 2004

OK, go to microsoft.com & type format xp into the search microsoft.com box on the top right of the screen [that should do it!]

ACOLYTE 15:44 29 Nov 2004

If you have a recovery disc only make sure you can get it back up and running again before you format, some preinstalled hard drives have info in a partition that wont be there when u format,so the recovery disc might not work.

click here

This is micrsofts way to do it with instructions.

cara 22:21 29 Nov 2004

Thanks, I have printed off the instructions and shall give it a go! (Not overly convinced though..).

VoG II 22:25 29 Nov 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)