Difficulty printing envelopes in Word 2010

robhawk 22:13 21 Oct 2010

This is my second post on the subject as I try to understand why Word 2010 makes it so difficult to set up envelope printing.

When you go to Mailings and then choose Envelopes either of two screens will appear. The one you want should be headed "envelopes and labels" but usually the other one appears "envelope options".

There must be some trick to getting the former screen to appear but I still cannot work out how.

Reverting to Word 2003 is one way of getting round it, but what is the point of having sophisticated Word 2010 in that case? I wish somebody from Microsoft would see this post and reply.

lotvic 23:13 21 Oct 2010

Seems to me that you would be happier using a template for your envelope, (I presume it is single envelopes you want to create, and not one attached to a document)
Click on File > New
and on the list there are envelope templates to choose from, both from on your pc and on Office.com click here for more info on Word 2010 templates.

kristain 08:55 22 Oct 2010

Try to update the printer drivers.

click here - printer help.

skeletal 12:24 22 Oct 2010

I have tried, several times, to use the Mailings/Envelopes feature and it does exactly what I would expect.

The “Envelopes and labels” screen appears, I type an address, and I can print it. I can change the envelope size and attach it to a document, and print it.

I can get “Envelope options” but from a button on the “Envelopes and labels” screen marked “Options”.

It is very simple.

If this is not happening for you, it does suggest something is interfering with how Word normally operates (i.e. rather than being a bug in Word that affects everyone).

In addition to dodgy print drivers, one thing that always comes to mind in such situations is whether you have any add-ins. A notorious one that causes Office all manner of headaches is Adobe pdf maker. (I used to use version 6 which caused me no end of grief; I don’t know if later versions are any better).

Or a partially corrupt normal.dotm template.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?