Difficulty with css file and padding property.

Dae 18:18 12 Oct 2004

Can anyone kindly suggest why this line from a css file, which I have copied and pasted here, only partially works?

img {float:left; padding-right:25px}

The image floats on the left all right, with following text appearing to the right of the image. To separate the image and text a bit more, I added the padding property, as above. But the space between image and text did not change. I have tried experimenting with a few different values for the padding property but they have no effect; the text remains very close to the right-hand edge of the image.

All this is in IE6 + SP2, in a linked .css file.

Regards.

Dae 18:35 13 Oct 2004

I have discovered that a line works all right
(ie it adds the space I want) if it ends

margin-right:20px}
margin-right:20px;} also works.
padding-right:20px} does not work.
padding-right:20px;} does not work

So I am thinking my difficulty is associated with the 'padding' property. Can you have padding in a jpg image file - perhaps not?

I am reading a book (reputable publisher, Peachpit Press, marked 'Copyright 2005', so probably up-to-date) where all the style rule examples are written without a ; before the final curly/brace bracket - that's where I got the idea from in the first place.

I shall mark this thread closed, whilst I delve more into padding and margins and under what circumstances a final ; before the } is needed.

Thank you for your interest.

Regards.

Dae.

Dae 18:51 13 Oct 2004

I shall try that second paragraph again. The forum mechanism has mangled it a bit. Each example is supposed to be on a new line.

margin-right:20px} works.

margin-right:20px;} also works.

padding-right:20px} does not work.

padding-right:20px;} does not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?