Difficult situation with XP MCE, please read.

Zopah 21:32 08 Jan 2008

Hi all, I bought this HP laptop, a dv2116 a while back (February) and it had a load of problems. So, after its last repair, it came back with the OS it came with (MCE) however, I had previously upgraded it to Vista (biggest mistake of my life!). I'm wondering about the legality of this also.

Back to the point, I can no longer run the built-in "Media Centre" in MCE, as all it does is through me an error about JIT compilers. I've tried a batch file from myfixes and also manually re-registering the components of MCE through the command prompt, but nothing has fixed it.

I know if I leave it here, I'll get someone saying 'Just reinstall!' however, when I upgraded to Vista, I removed my built in recovery partition (as I had my Vista upgrade program disk, so I was fine if that went wrong) and it was not restored by the HP technicians.

This leaves me in a sticky situation, however, to add more confusion to the already confusing events, I have a Dell MCE disk that I requested. Its an orange disk, and as I remember, it just installs the OS. I dont think I can't use that, which is shame, due to the fact that its not Dell hardware. I also read about using my I386 folder to create an nLine disk, but, I'm not sure about this.

Really, I'd just like someone to inform me on the best course of action to take, because I'm rather confused.

lotvic 22:20 08 Jan 2008

My advice is:
Request all the disks you need from HP. It was remiss of them to leave you with no means to restore to factory fresh and they are duty bound to supply them.
You will need the motherboard and other drivers as well as O/S
Complain (loudly) to HP about their failure to provide any means of restoration after the last repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?