different browsers = problems. help!

tomleady 10:50 16 Jun 2004

hi, i've been redesigning my site recently and have uploaded some section of it to test out.

but i've come across problems when viewing pages in Firefox, Opera, and Netscape.

in AvantBrowser and IE, they are fine.

see:click here

I wanted a middle section for my main content, and this section to be scrollable so that the navigation,logo etc stayed in the same place.

anyway, i was just trying something out.

but when viewed in Firefox,Netscape and Opera, it all goes the shape of a pear.

i dont know how these browsers read html,css or whatever, but if you look at the above link in these browsers, you will see the scrollbar idea has gone pretty wrong!

any way aroudn this problem? i have done the site using css, and the middle table has the code:

overflow:auto;

i have tried alternatives, but they dont work.

so, any help would be great!

tomleady 10:52 16 Jun 2004

i should note that even though i have used css a fair bit, i am still quite a novice, and as Taran has pointed out previously to me, there are a few problems with it.

so i hope there is a easy (ish) way around this problem. i dont mind if i dont have the middle scrollbar thing in the end, i was trying something new!

Kalitechnis 13:19 16 Jun 2004

Tom,

You and I would seem to be having similar problems at least regarding cross-browsrer compatability (see my posting earlier-click here .)

May I ask-are you using frames? The thing is I cannot see any sign of frames in the source code, unless it's within the template you are using.

I personally think your problem lies with the template and then your use of tables, which I believe behave differently in differing browsers.

If I am right about frames in the template, I reckon that the scrollbar problem lies there. I have never used templates, so I cannot say for sure, but I would imagine they must limit what you can do.

The table overrun at the bottom of the inner "frame" using Opera dissappears when using full-screen mode.

Your sites are very nice though-I hope you manage to sort your own site out.

Why don't you redo do it without the template?

BTW..any idea about my problem -why Netscape/firefox won't show animated gifs (mostly)?

Good luck,

K.

tomleady 13:47 16 Jun 2004

hi Kalitechnis
i'm not using frames. the middle section (with the scrollbar) is a layer (<div> tag) that scrolls. it works like a charm in IE.

i just dont understand why or how other browsers interpret code.

frames shouldnt (i think) be a problem in other browsers. i wonder if i'm tryin to be to clever for my own good! i think i need more practise.

regarding your problem i'll post in your thread.

using templates is actually extremely useful, as it is really helpful for when it comes to updating. saves A LOT of hassle.

thanks!

Tom

Kalitechnis 14:12 16 Jun 2004

Hmm, Tom,

Yes, I think you may be experimenting a bit far. A layer with scrollbar..well, I'ld never have thought of that..
It's great to experiment, try your own way of getting round ideas, but..!!

I'll be checking out your site to see how you sort it out/develop it.

Keep at it!

K.

tomleady 14:15 16 Jun 2004

oh yeah, it does work in Opera. got confused!

i definately doesnt work in Netscape or Firefox though!

i took some screen shots in case people want to see what it looks like.

Netscape:click here

Firefox:click here

Kalitechnis - i think it is quiter common to see layers with scrollbars, it is just i've probably done soemthing in the wrong order or a line of code. i think i've probably gone a step far in terms of my skills.

oh well!

Kalitechnis 15:01 16 Jun 2004

Tom,

I'm amazed..so layers with scrollbars are relatively common then..as I said I would never have thought of it, and have never heard /read of it. (But then all I've done with designing my sites is grope around blindly and hope for the best..plus make sure I keep it as simple as possible.
But you've certainly got me interested in trying this thing out!
Thanks for adding to my knowledge base. (Basic it is)
I think if it is generally non-problematic, it may well suit my needs.

As you can see..in my 2 main sites, I use frames in order to solve the problem caused by differnet screen resolutions, but I had always tried (in vain) to discover a way of achieving something along the lines of your site.

Peter

Kalitechnis 15:02 16 Jun 2004

Tom,

I'm amazed..so layers with scrollbars are relatively common then..as I said I would never have thought of it, and have never heard /read of it. (But then all I've done with designing my sites is grope around blindly and hope for the best..plus make sure I keep it as simple as possible.

As you can see..in my 2 main sites, I use frames in order to solve the problem caused by differnet screen resolutions, but I had always tried (in vain) to discover a way of achieving something along the lines of your site.

Peter

Kalitechnis 15:02 16 Jun 2004

Tom,

Peter

Kalitechnis 15:06 16 Jun 2004

Dear oh dear,

FE, please delete the unnecessaries..I lost my connection just before posting and on reconnecting and submitting, nothing seemed to happen, so I kept on pushing the submit btton.

K.

tomleady 16:12 16 Jun 2004

i dont how relatively common they are, but i've seen them a few times, and thought they were a good solution.

frames arent thought well of on this forum, for various reasons.

anyway, i'm off home now, and i'm going to Venice tomorow for a few days, so i'll be back here on tuesday!

ciao

Tom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?