Difference between Broadband and T mobile usb m

JEMJAB 18:58 11 Aug 2008

Can someone explain to me the difference between normal broadband v an offer I saw on T mobile. You don't need a telephone you're sent a USB modem.

Need help

Thanks

jimmybond 19:06 11 Aug 2008

you've summed it up yourself - you don't need a telephone/landline, therefore you aren't paying out for BT line rental, possibly just so you can use broadband on it.
Another obvious advantage is the fact you can use it nearly anywhere. I say nearly as this is one of the drawbacks - I use T-mobile broadband via my phone as a modem....it works most of the time but I'd describe it as flakey. For example three days last week I had no access at all as the transmiter was down. Was visiting a friend in Manchester at the weekend and there was no 3G/HSDPA signal at all - now central Manchester is hardly the scottish highlands where you could expect poor service.....so you really need to investigate whether it's going to work, and how well it is - before you jump in.

DieSse 19:51 11 Aug 2008

Broadband is a catch-all description which simply means higher bandwidth - which really just means faster.

Generally broadband speed is accepted to start at 256Kbps - some say higher, it's not consistently defined. But that's all it means - any technology the runs at that speed or faster is broadband.

I have wide area wireless broadband (512Kbps - here in Spain there are no landlines where I am).

So the difference you are looking for is non-existent in one sense - both are broadband. But in technology terms one uses cables and the other one wireless.

The T-Mobile (and my) wireless not to be confused with local short distance wireless.

JEMJAB 08:38 12 Aug 2008

Thanks for your help everyone.

3gboosterman 05:47 07 Nov 2008

Hello,
If you have a usb mobile broadband dongle and you get good signal outside but poor signal inside, then i may be able to help.
I sell 3g signal booster antenna's, low gain and high gain ones and they work on dongles without any antenna connections.
If interested, please email me.
Regards
Jeff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie