dialup connection taking a long time

polymath 21:25 24 Jun 2003

I recently tried lots of different ISP settings, trying to solve connection problems (failures in the first place, with varied error messages, & getting disconnected again). Those problems are now solved, by setting the modem to pause when the signal's interrupted, before disconnecting.

I'm left with a small irritation; normal dial-up behaviour as far as 'verifying user name & passport', but then that message is repeated in the box, and it takes about another 2 minutes to get through to wherever (it used to take just a second or 2).

I had tried making a new connection at one point (with the same details), but I'm now back to my old one as default (in both Internet Explorer & Outlook Express).

ISP settings? IE/OE settings? Modem settings? OS settings? (Win 98SE). Ideas much appreciated!

keverne 22:22 24 Jun 2003

Try this:-

>Programs, >Accessories, >Communications, >DialUp Networking

Right-click the icon for the connection you are having problems with, >Select Server Types and make sure that Log on to Network isn't ticked.

polymath 21:08 25 Jun 2003

Thanks daconner! It was ticked, so I unticked it (& reset just for luck) Then, as soon as the diallup box said 'verifying...', I was through in a twinkling.

I think it still said 'verifying...' twice, but too quickly to be a problem.

No wonder it was taking so long to find my Windows password, as I don't use one! I probably tried enabling it at some point, forgetting to check 'What's this?'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?