Dialler infections

EFC1878 23:24 17 Jul 2006

As my Nortons 2003 is no longer supported I did an online virus check and was infroemd that I have 2 dialer infections [Dialer.Generic & Dialer. Palazzo)

Looking at the security notes it states that these are both dialer applications that dial high cost numbers using a modem.

Am I right in thinking that these dialers do not work when you havean ADSL Broadband connection and prey on normal dial-up modems whihc they then re-direct?

skidzy 23:33 17 Jul 2006

You are correct if you are on BB,however i would still use this click here

johnnyrocker 23:34 17 Jul 2006

not a problem as long as your on board modem is not connected.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:35 17 Jul 2006

also click here for very good and free av

johnny.

EFC1878 08:30 18 Jul 2006

No my dial-up on-board modem is disconnected and I only use the ADSL BB modem. Grateful for your confirmation thatI should not be affected.

Given thatNortons is no longe rsupported and when I tried to run an upgrade to 2006 I was told that 'it was not available in my area' I have now followed your advice and taken the plunge to go with AVG.

I assume that I need to disable Nortons as I beleive that it is not a good idea to run 2 virus checkers at the same time in case they conflict.

Gongoozler 08:37 18 Jul 2006

EFC1878, you are quite right in your assumption that you can't run more than one antivirus program. I ditched Norton for Avast a few years ago and have had no problems at all. Being on broadband does leave your computer more open to attack, so I recommend antivirus (AVG or Avast), firewall (ZoneAlarm), anti adware (AdAware), and to mop up a lot of nasties that might slip through the net an occasional sweep with Ewido click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?