Dial-up USB modem with wireless connection

GRFT 13:39 25 Jan 2005

My present dial up modem is a Connextant PCI which has given great service over the last two or three years. I'd like now to replace it with a USB modem (I've no need to go BB)that also has the facility for a wireless connection to the internet. I understand that I would have to buy a combined modem/router for this purpose. Can any one tell me exactly what I would need? Would an ADSL unit also suit a dial up connection?
Many thanks

johnnyrocker 13:43 25 Jan 2005
  GRFT 13:05 26 Jan 2005

Many thanks. Very interesting sites.

fitshase 14:19 26 Jan 2005

Try this:-

click here

It runs on the DECT system that current digital cordless home phones work on. Plug the USB modem into your computer and locate the base station at the telephone point.

Alternatively, if you still want the dial up but also to allow other users to connect wirelessly to the internet through your dial-up connection (not recommended for more than 1 additional user) then buy an access point and plug it into your desktop. The wireless users buy a wireless card and connect to the desktop. Set up internet connection sharing on the desktop and eveything should work.

GRFT 06:50 27 Jan 2005

Thank you, fitschase. That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

GRFT 13:13 30 Jan 2005

Well, I bought the BT On-Air Wireless Modem and it works a treat! Thank you. Now I just have to remove the PCI modem and its drivers and hope that doesn't screw things up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?