dial up problems

charlton200 15:18 06 Oct 2003

hello,
i am unable to connect to the internet by clicking on the internet explorer button in the task bar, and i am unable to connect to the internet by double clicking the shortcut icon on the desktop.

this has only just started happening.

the only way to get on the internet is by going to control panel then dial up networks and then clicking on my freeserve icon.

why cannot i get on the internet by my task icon and my shortcut icon on my desktop like i usually do?

i have tried repairing internet explorer 6. but that didn't work.

what should i do now.

i would be most gratefully for any help.

charlton.

smegs 15:42 06 Oct 2003

Can U connect from the Icon in the start menu? If so, create a short cut from there, and put it on the desk top.

rawprawn 15:47 06 Oct 2003

Try going into Control Panel/ Network Connections/ Right click on your network connection /Create desktop icon and go from there . You will have to delete the other icons if they don't work.

charlton200 16:11 06 Oct 2003

hi again,

no i can not connect from the start menu.

i have made a shortcut from the control panel/dial up connection.

the shortcut icon that has come up works ok but is a very basic looking icon is there no way to get it to be like the internet explorer icon?

also the task bar icon which dose not work. is there anyway to get that to work.

i wonder why they have suddenly packed up working?

thanks very much for you help.

mark e 18:11 06 Oct 2003

do the following: go to Tools, internet option, connections. then select always dial my default connection

charlton200 22:25 06 Oct 2003

thanks mark e,

its back to normal now.i don't know what changed it ,but thanks very much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?