Dial up problem, cannot connect

Europa 17:51 08 Mar 2006

I have tried for two days to connect to retrieve my emails with Madasafish, but to no vail.
The noise on the line goes like that : 4 bips, then one high pitch whistle, then the 'verifying user name and password' come, when that appears the line fall silent, then it just said unable to connect so close the port.
It said as well 'error 619'
I can connect with the same modem with another ISP, so I don't think it is the modem.
It has been working fine since 2 days ago, one evening last week it started playing up for a few times, then I could connect.
What could it be?
Thank you.

ade.h 19:01 08 Mar 2006

click here

That explains the most common cause and how to deal with it. Following just the first part of the first red paragraph should be sufficient each time the problem occurs.

Europa 20:02 08 Mar 2006

This is what happened.
I used the send /receive feature of outlook express, If I dialed with madasafish straight away, it does what I described earlier.
If I connect with Plusnet (my other account), it retrieves the Madasafish email first, then pass to Plusnet, but by that time, the connection to Plusnet disconnect. Then if I want to retrieve my Plusnet emails, I need to click on 'work offline' when it wants to connect to Madasafish, then reconnect with Plusnet.
There is a set up mistake somewhere.
Another thing : I use to be able to connect to the internet with the madasafish dialup pay as you go account, now I can't even do that anymore.
ade.h, when I do what they say on the website you sent me to (press Ctrl-Alt-Del), Windows task Manager window come up. Is it the program that I need to end?

ade.h 20:23 08 Mar 2006

RNAAPP.exe often causes this problem despite being a component of DUN, so kill from within Task manager before trying to dial.

It would be wise to have only one dial-up account installed, as this can cause headaches; being physically possible does not always mean that it will actually work well. That applies to a lot of things in Windows! When I was stuck in the dark days of dial-up, I had three different PAYG accounts and used email from all of those, but I never had more than one dial-up account installed at any one time.

Europa 20:56 08 Mar 2006

I cannot find RNAAPP.exe in the list of processes in windows task Manager.
Is it secure and useful to end all the processes in progress?
As for having more than one dialup account installed, I don't see myself inputing the informations every time I need one account or another. But I agree with you, I always had problems with the two accounts together, but never anything that was preventing me to connect to the internet.
I am considering taking Broadband with Plusnet, but I was told that I could only get 256MB or 512MB, no more, so I wonder if it's worth it.

ade.h 21:02 08 Mar 2006

1) Never, ever, kill all running processes! Quick way to an almighty crash.

2) "I don't see myself inputting all the information every time..." I'm not sure what you mean by that.

3) Who checked your line? BT? Worth another check; most lines can get at least 1 Mbit these days, many can handle 2. Some are stuck on 512 Kbits. (Nothing to do with MB, which means Megabytes!) Anyway, for what a cheap ADSL costs, it might well be worth it for 512 Kbits; that is still 10x your current speed and your phone line is never out, you can surf any time with no change in cost.....

Europa 21:18 08 Mar 2006

Of course isKbits, not MB. Silly me.
Now that I can't find RNAAPP.exe, I don't know what to do about my

ade.h 21:23 08 Mar 2006

Nor me, to be honest!

click here Have a browse of these various articles and something might crop up.

Europa 21:27 08 Mar 2006

I was saying I don't know what to do about my malfunctioning pay as you go Madasafish account. Something has changed since it was working before. That means that if I have a problem with my Plusnet account, I don't have any back-up.
I have been to a website (I think it was the BT website), then you type your phone number and it tells you what you can get on your line.

ade.h 21:41 08 Mar 2006

Oh I see; I noticed you had posted before finishing your sentence, so just guessed!

Well, it seems to be at your end. I would suggest removing it; if your Plusnet account should ever experience problems, it's a two minute job to put the Madasafish details in again via the wizard.

Does Madasafish offer email forwarding? A feature that I find very useful, whereby your mail will be sent from the Madasafish server to another mail server of your choice so that the other email account will pick it up.

ade.h 21:42 08 Mar 2006

You can still get your Madasafish mail through your usual mail client as normal without needing the dial-up account details to be stored on your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017