dial up (with onspeed) to broadband

pookie 13:12 08 Jan 2008

Hi

My father in law is going from dial up (with 'onspeed' speed enhancer) to talktalk broadband.

Does he need to do anything re onspeed whilst the broadband is being activated etc?

Many thanks

P

johnnyrocker 13:13 08 Jan 2008

he will only be allowe one isp on a line so i would think he needs to cancel on speed (unless someone knows better)

johnny

Stuartli 13:26 08 Jan 2008

OnSpeed is nothing to do with ISPs - it's a method used to speed up downloading (which might be useful for dial-up users).

However, its benefits are readily available free of charge with one or two minor tweaks for Internet Explorer...:-)

Your father-in-law should drop OnSpeed with broadband (and save money at the same time).

He might wish to retain the dial-up modem if it's a fax/data modem and, for any reason, he may/will wish to send faxes.

It's worth noting that speeding up the downloading of software with broadband is equally well served as dial-up by using a download manager - I use the excellent FreshDownload from click here

johnem 13:34 08 Jan 2008

When upgrading from dial up to broadband, there may be a small benefit in retaining Onspeed, however I found that on some web sites, Onspeed caused some sort of conflict which actual slowed down the download speed.
Go with the other recommendations and cancel Onspeed. Not sure if you can get a refund or not.

johnnyrocker 14:32 08 Jan 2008

thank you for as usual correcting my erors.

johnny

rohankm 13:25 18 Jan 2008

hi
heres one cool way to get awesome 200 % more browsing speed by changing 3 settings of the internet explorer....its working great for me..check out »increasemysurfingspeed.blogspot.com/

setecio 10:38 16 Feb 2008

What are the tweaks for Internet Explorer 7 that are a effective as onspeed on a dialup connection.
I'm considering onspeed for someone on dialup but would like to know these tweaks for IE and try them first. Thanks.

lofty29 11:23 16 Feb 2008

Hi rohankm this only appears to work with firefox

Stuartli 12:16 16 Feb 2008

It's something I used to do with earlier versions of Internet Explorer - don't know if it will work with IE7 (which is quite quick in any case whenever I've temporarily used it instead of Firefox).

See:

click here

For Firefox I use Finetune Firefox - couple of clicks and it saves all the messing around with about:config...:-)

click here

Stuartli 12:18 16 Feb 2008

..found here:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?