dial up networking

kuriocity 18:54 22 Jan 2006

I have 2 computers. 1st WinMe and 2nd Win98se.What's easiest, best method to connect the 2 machines please. My ISP is Tiscali. This message is on Me computer. I don't want both computers running at once as they are used for home use only.I can join them in the space of 6/8 feet or so apart. Can you help with this please. The connection to Isp is with Sagem Modem [email protected] USBADSL_LineO. Please don't use too much technical jargon as I do not understand it. I come from the time when cars had starting handles and today's stuff is way above me. Thank You.

mgmcc 20:56 22 Jan 2006

<<< I come from the time when cars had starting handles >>>

It's a while since I've used one of those, but I've started a diesel generator set very recently by "cranking" it with a handle! :-)

I've edited my standard "blurb" on wired networking to try to keep it as jargon-free as possible:

To create a wired network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options-

1) Install a Network Adapter in each PC (if not already installed) and connect them directly with a crossover ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection (the modem connection) in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Network Adapter with the correct settings (actually an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0, but you shouldn't need to get involved with this unless there are problems). The “client” PC’s Network Adapter should be set to get its IP address automatically from the “host” PC.

If you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a broadband Router and, with ADSL, this should be a combined “Router/ADSL Modem”. This replaces the USB modem which cannot be used with a router. All networked computers connect directly to the router with ‘straight-wired’ ethernet cables.

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually 192.168.xxx.xxx

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network.

kuriocity 13:32 23 Jan 2006

To mgmcc. Thanks for your prompt answer. PcWorld sold me wireless adsl router but I didn't realise you needed ethernet cards so I took it back and got a refund.I printed your letter and took it with me but as wireless and wired system were same price I took sales advice and chose the wireless but wasn't told that further bits were needed. I think that I will shop around for the items and see best price. This returned one was £80. So thanks again for your clear instructions and will try to resolve problem later in the week.I've just called Maplins and will see them tomorrow. I think that this site is really good and got it through Google by asking connect 2 computers and was put through to this site.Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone