Dial-up modems" BEWARE"

SANTOS7 13:43 10 Nov 2004

Taken from one of todays daily newspapers.

Internet fraudsters are useing "pop-up" pages when clicked on will reroute you to a premium rate dialer without your knowledge, according to BT 60,000 plus customers have already fallen to this scam.
They suggest closing all pop-ups using the title bar and not to click(click here to close)
They also say you can ask BT to block premium rate dialers at no cost to you.
i hope this info is useful to you if it has already been posted sorry for the repitition,good luck..............

SANTOS7 14:56 10 Nov 2004

Smegs 15:24 10 Nov 2004

They'll think of all sorts to gain money!!!

Thankyou.

ventanas 17:01 10 Nov 2004

Thank you, I'm still stuck on dialup at home, so this is worth knowing. I do have premium rate numbers blocked though, and DialerControl installed.

Stuartli 17:50 10 Nov 2004

Thanks for the warning; however, I think you mean to close such pop-ups using the Task bar.

Carafaraday 18:26 10 Nov 2004

I always check that the dialler is dialling up the 'right' number but is that sufficient to make sure that it really does dial that number and not a premium rate one?

russmini 18:42 10 Nov 2004

i was caught out by this in my last quater phone bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
although i check when i connect that it is dialling the correct no: it still dialled something/somewhere else !!
it cost me three figures !!
i now have (i hope) an adaquet anti virus and spybot & adaware installed to stop this happening again!!!
mind you i did not know you could just ask for premium no's to be blocked. this i will do tomorrow.

canard 18:59 10 Nov 2004

Happened to me- didn't click the popup just clicked to close it. Fortunately am on BB. The dialer was an old job that had been around in Germany called MainPean. Sensibly the G govt have banned all the expensive redial nos and I can't see why ours doesn't too. Lobbying???????????

Newuser4165 19:35 10 Nov 2004

I think I encountered what may be one of these new style popups this morning whilst browsing the website of my local morning paper.
A popup appeared purporting to be from HSBC bank.Each time I tried to close it the browser itself closed with error 404.This happened a number of times but has now disappeared completely.
I wasn't on dialup but on a LAN so hopefully no harm done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?