Dial-up modem not connecting

GAOEG 17:07 29 Jul 2009

Hello,
After a recent thunderstorm I find that the modem won't dial out. When I try and connect I get an "error 633 the modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or not configured properly" message.

Device manager says the modem is ok and there are no conflicts Device manager only shows COM1 for communication ports although the modem apparently uses COM3.

I have disabled firewall and antivirus and even reinstalled the system from a partition image I had backed up, but still the same message.

Is the modem u/s despite what device manager says or could it be something else? All other functions appear normal.

All help gratefully received though as I have no internet access I am having to do this from the library so please excuse slow response.

PO79 17:23 29 Jul 2009

Almost certainly the modem is blown.

chub_tor 19:05 29 Jul 2009

I concur with PO79, this has happened to me a couple of times with Device Manager saying that the device is working OK when it patently isn't. Dial up modems are dirt cheap click here is as good as any.

bluto1 21:57 29 Jul 2009

I feel I may end up agreeing with PO79, but it might be worth running a new install using the CD/DVD you received with your modem. Am I right in assuming you have a Thompson 330 modem? Your ISP may send you a new one free, but if not, I've got a spare.

anchor 08:51 30 Jul 2009

bluto1: The Thomson 330 is an ADSL modem, not a dial-up modem.

click here

GAOEG: I agree, it sounds as if it has blown. Time for a replacement.

GAOEG 15:17 30 Jul 2009

Thanks for your responses folks. The modem was a Smartlink and I've ordered another. I'll report back (hopefully from my own pc) when I've fitted it. Regards

bluto1 18:44 30 Jul 2009

It's me having a senior moment.

GAOEG 23:15 30 Jul 2009

Hello again.
This written from my own computer as everyone was right: replacing the modem did the trick. I ordered a replacement Smartlink modem from click here, via ebay. It came through the letterbox within 12 hours of ordering, new, boxed and all for the princely sum of £3.99.
Thanks again for the help,
Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?