dial up and modem help

TheNam3less 15:40 23 Apr 2006

hi everyone

everytime i dial up to my connection i could hear the dialling noise that you usually hear when using dial up but just recently i havent been hearing the usual dial noise just wondering maybes if my internal modem is going bust.

johnnyrocker 15:43 23 Apr 2006

i believe that somewhere (from memory) in the properties there is a setting for speaker or similar and maybe this setting has changed.

johnny.

DieSse 15:45 23 Apr 2006

Some modems, especially newer ones, work via the system loudspeakers - so if you have them turned down, you won't hear the dialling with this type of modem.

TheNam3less 15:59 23 Apr 2006

speakers are turned up and have checked all the sounds and etc... its just confusing thats all one minute i can hear the dial tone next minute it suddenly stops

Stuartli 16:47 23 Apr 2006

See:

click here

Some modems have an internal speaker.

I always used to be able to tell from the "screech" if the modem was dialling up correctly.

mgmcc 17:22 23 Apr 2006

A word of warning - some ROGUE DIALLERS, the ones that reconnect you to a premium rate or international number, disable the sound to make you unaware that the connection is being redialled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?