Dial up conflict with cable modem

hydincymru 14:41 06 Apr 2004

I have NTL Broadband (150K) but want to use a Dial Up Pay as You Go service as well. Disregarding my reasons I cannot get dial up to work even when I disable the Cable modem. Is it possible to have both services on the same PC?

TomJerry 14:47 06 Apr 2004

Are you using NTL for your phone as well? If it is, it maynot be possible.

If you use BT line for phone, I do not see any technical reason why not. Many people use adsl as well as dial up. Maybe you can try to unplug cable modem and try again.

hydincymru 14:58 06 Apr 2004

Hi
I have disconnected the cable modem, (usb & Power)with no success. If I dial the Dial upnumber on the phone I can hear the data sound but the dial up window cant connect. I dont know if it is a problem with the modem or connecting cable. When I check the modem I get a message that the port is open.
Thanks for the help

medicine hat 15:02 06 Apr 2004

Do you have a seperate dial-up icon in Network Connections which you can drag out to your desktop for clicking when you want to use the Pay As You Surf?

medicine hat 15:04 06 Apr 2004

Sorry, your 2nd comment was not there when I started. Sounds more like a problem with the modem than dial-up networking

stlucia 15:24 06 Apr 2004

Maybe the filter you've installed for BB is affecting the signal enough to make your dial-up modem not work. Have you tried it without going through the filter? Have you lots of phone extensions (each additional one can reduce the voltage available, or something like that)?

hydincymru 15:56 06 Apr 2004

Hi stlucia
I dont know what you mean by a filter and I do have 3 extensions
thanks

stlucia 16:33 06 Apr 2004

With BT lines you need to plug in a filter to each outlet to separate the BB signals from the 'normal' telephone signals (including dial-up modems) so that they don't interfere with each other.

Maybe it's not the same with NTL and, reading your post again, its probably not the answer anyway because your dial-up should still work when you disable your 'cable' modem.

So, if you've added an extension since the last time you successfully used dial-up, try disconnecting one or more extensions and see if that solves the problem. Also, try a different modem lead if you have one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?