Dial up

Les 15:31 17 Dec 2004

My neighbour is in trouble again! On booting up his dialer comes on screen. Now, I'm pretty certain that I have seen a checkbox somewhere where, if ticked, will cuae this to happem - but where!! Anyone know? It's a pain in the youknowwhere when your short term memory goes on the blick!

Les 15:33 17 Dec 2004

His OS is Windows Xp

Gongoozler 15:54 17 Dec 2004

Is Windows Messenger set to open at boot-up? Is the number on the dialler the correct isp number?

woodchip 15:57 17 Dec 2004

IE tools\Options Never Dial

woodchip 16:02 17 Dec 2004

Sorry about this, it's under the Connection tab in the above

Les 16:10 17 Dec 2004

Thanks for the reolies - he doesn't use messanger and yes he has the correct number.

That must be it Woodchip - I'll check with him to see if it is ticked

Les 17:44 17 Dec 2004

I tried ticking the Never Dial box on my own computer and, unfortunately, all that happened was that it wouldn't dial up when I wanted it to - so that can't be the trouble. I shall have to look through msconfig/startup to see if something is trying to do an ET on it <g>

Nevertheless, thanks for the replies.

Les 18:28 17 Dec 2004

I installed AVG sometime ago for him - knowing him I don't think for one minute that he would keep up to date with it - as you can gather he needs a servant! As AVG loads up as part of the boot process I wonder if that is the program trying to 'phone home? Is it wise for him to click connect and see where it takes hiom? He's not in at the moment - rarely is - so I can't check.

Possibly wise to go into AVG the conventional way and simply bring him up to date and then see what happens -- any thouhgts on that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?