DHCP Problem

stevieb89 01:47 02 Jan 2010

i'll try to be as concise as possible with my explanation. I've had a working home network the the past 3 years. one night out of no where my internet completely stopped working. i tried everything to get it working and called my cable provider to see if it was a modem issue. it seems now the only thing that works is if i plug the modem directly into the computer it is next to, if i try to use the router or try to go directly to my upstairs computer, the internet does not work. i believe this is an issue with DHCP and my computer not issuing IP addresses correctly. Below are the settings and results of a scan on the downstairs (working) computer.

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

STREETWORK 07:12 02 Jan 2010

Which router and operating system are you using please?

How is the router connected?

Also:

To eliminate any wiring problems in the house connect the router directly to the master socket by carefully unscrewing and pulling off the lower cover (careful of the short wires) Plug the router through a filter into the socket.

Try and connect now. If this does not work the next thing to check is that the filters are working, see if you can borrow a spare one rather than forking out first.

These are the checks to do from the described problems...

mgmcc 12:27 02 Jan 2010

Firstly, it appears that you have your "Local Area Connection" and "1394 Connection" (which is Firewire) bridged.

Right click the "Local Area Connection" and select Remove from Bridge.

Right click the "1394 Connection" and select Remove from Bridge.

Right click the Network Bridge and delete it.

[This can all be reversed by highlighting the two adapters, right clicking and selecting the option to "bridge" them.]

As it appears that you're using *CABLE* broadband, ensure that you follow the correct procedure for swapping connections to the Cable Modem. Power off the Cable Modem for several minutes, so that it releases the association between the existing connection (recognised by the network adapter's MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated. When powered on again, it will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it. Alternatively, most routers can "clone" the PC's network adapter MAC address, so that the connection can be swapped over without having to power off the modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?