DHCP Error when installing Ntl Broadband

Giggle n' Bits 18:53 31 Jul 2006

Using a Ntl 250 Broadband modem intending to connect with USB cable not Lan cable the isntallation when plugging in the Modem with the USB Cable comes up with "Network adapter DHCP Error...."

Friend has tried (not me cos she carnt get online) laptop and same happens. could a damaged modem cause this or is there something wrong with the configuration on windows XP Home SP2 ?

Also is there a tool that can clean out unwanted USB Drivers ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 31 Jul 2006

# In Internet Options, Local Area Network Settings, the option Automatically detect settings should be UNchecked, not checked. NTLworld does not offer a WPAD service, so leaving this option checked would slow down Internet Explorer launches.
# In TCP/IP Properties, WINS Configuration, I am sceptical about checking Use DHCP for WINS Resolution, as I doubt that NTLworld offers WINS services, and I prefer Disable WINS Resolution.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 31 Jul 2006

The following instructions for configuring the network connection assume that you might be converting to cable from some previous network use, and therefore include elimination of previous configuration data: for a fresh connection, the previous data might not be present.

* Open Control Panel.
* Double-click [XP] Network Connections.
* Identify the icon for your cable modem connection: it is usually Local Area Connection. If you have both ethernet and USB cable modem drivers active, you might have two icons, labelled Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 2. You can distinguish them by right-clicking each, selecting Properties, and viewing which hardware interface each is connected to.
Note: with Windows 2000/XP and USB-connected cable modems, these connection icons might disappear from the control panel if the USB connection is unplugged or the cable modem powered off.

* Right-click the appropriate icon and select Properties.
* [XP only] Ensure the General tab is at the front.
* In the central box (scroll if necessary), if the component Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is absent, then:
o Click the button Install...
o Select Protocol and click Add...
o [2000 only] In the box Manufacturers select Microsoft, and in the box Network Protocol select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
o Click OK.

* In the central box (scroll if necessary), uncheck all components except Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and (optionally) Client for Microsoft Networks. For security, if your PC is connected directly to the cable modem, you should ensure that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is unchecked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 31 Jul 2006

* In the central box (scroll if necessary), select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click button Properties.
o Check Obtain an IP address automatically.
o Check Obtain DNS server address automatically.
o Click button Advanced...
+ With tab IP Settings at the front:
# If there are any entries in box Default gateways, select each and click Remove. See click here for more.
+ Click tab DNS to bring it to the front:
# If there are any entries in box DNS server addresses, in order of use, select each and click Remove.
# UNcheck Append these DNS suffixes (in order).
# In box DNS suffix for this connection you may enter a default DNS domain for your ISP, e.g. ntlworld.com or blueyonder.co.uk or you may leave this box blank.
# UNcheck Register this connection's addresses in DNS. See click here for more.
+ Click tab WINS to bring it to the front:
# If there are any entries in box WINS addresses in order of use, select each and click Remove.
+ Click OK to exit the Advanced settings.
o Click OK to exit Internet Protocol settings.

* Click OK to save the changes you have made and exit the Connection properties, then come back again by right-clicking the connection icon and selecting Properties.

* If this is an ethernet connection, and if your cable modem's ethernet interface is not specifically listed as capable of full-duplex working (see list), click the button Configure below the adapter name.
o Click the tab Advanced to bring it to the front:
+ In the Property box, the property name to be selected varies according to model of ethernet card. Examples are: Network Link Selection, Media Type, Connection Type, Duplex Mode, or any similarly-named property which can have Values looking like Auto-Negotiation, or 10BT, or 10BaseT.
+ In the Value box, select a value which either (a) explicitly says half-duplex or semi-duplex, or (b) at least does not say full-duplex [e.g. 10BaseT on its own is OK]. If there is a choice between 10 and 100 with half-duplex, choose the 10. Do not choose 10Base5, 10Base2, or AUI.
o Click OK to exit the Adapter settings.
* Click OK to exit the Connection properties.
* Close the Network and Dial-up Connections window.
* Continue with Internet Options setup below.

nternet Options setup

* Open Control Panel.
* Double-click Internet Options.
* Click on the tab Connections to bring it to the front.
* Check Never dial a connection.
* Click on button LAN Settings...
o UNcheck Automatically detect settings (unchecking this speeds up IE launches).
o UNcheck Use automatic configuration script.
o UNcheck Use a proxy server (unless you want an explicit setting).
o Click OK to exit Local Area Network settings.
* Click OK to exit Internet Options.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 31 Jul 2006

Windows XP built-in firewall

Some users report difficulties getting Windows XP to work when first connected. It is possible that the built-in firewall might be causing problems with the strange requirements of the cable modem DHCP system. It is suggested that you should not enable the built-in firewall until after (a) you have a working cable connection, and (b) you understand how to configure the built-in firewall. You should only consider enabling the firewall if your XP PC is directly connected to the cable modem. You should disable the firewall if there is a NAT router and/or home LAN between the XP PC and the cable modem.

* Open Control Panel.
* Double-click Network Connections.
* Right-click the appropriate connection icon, and select Properties.
* Click on tab Advanced to bring it to the front.
* To enable the firewall, check Protect my computer (etc); or
* To disable the firewall, uncheck Protect my computer (etc).
* Click on button Settings...
o With tab Services at the front:
+ check any services offered on your PC that you wish outside users to be able to connect to. If there are no such services, uncheck all boxes.
o Click tab ICMP to bring it to the front:
+ check Allow incoming echo request.
+ check all the Allow outgoing options.
o Click OK to exit Advanced Settings.
* Click OK to exit Connection Properties.

Giggle n' Bits 19:54 31 Jul 2006

cheers as always Fruit Bat /\0/
Will be back around 11pm

Giggle n' Bits 01:44 01 Aug 2006

Thanks for all thew above, problem is/was after trying 2 machines the USB conneciton method was a no go. either of them would just not regonise the modem and would not take driver from Ntl Cd. I downlloaded the NTL 250 driver and that would not go on.

I changed over the cable and put on her Erthernet cable and bingo. strange thing is after about a year of using the USB method it suddenly went down and recognition by usb was kicking up a error say network adapter not cofigured correclty. this was not present becuase the machine did not register the modem

stuck back on her machine which had LAN and that had Network adapater in Device manager but am I right in saying for usb why do you need LAN to be enabled in bios and as a network adapter in device manager when connecting by usb.

Odd also is modem will connect with erthernet but not usb, could the modem be faulty, if so I blame this on recent yep here goes, recent Thunder & Lightning storm damaging the modems usb port. Someones going moan again ref this subject.

but when you see & hear about, 20 or so damaged BT voyagers, SpeedTouch and Sagem in a month where storms have been in my area, weeks it makes you wonder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?