DHCP Client List puzzle

Pineman100 18:21 06 Jul 2007

I run XP SP2 Home (Media Center Edition). I connect to the internet via a Belkin wireless router/ADSL modem, with a Belkin USB wireless adapter plugged into my computer. There are no other computers in the network.

Since I set up this wireless network about a year ago I've never really bothered to look at the router's settings, on the principle of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". However in preparation for connecting my wife's new laptop to the network, I've been poking about in the router's settings today.

In the DHCP client list (which I don't think I've ever looked at before), I am surprised to find two entries. One of them has the MAC number of my USB adapter, but I don't recognise the other one's MAC number.

I'm not any kind of expert on networking - I just do what the instruction book tells me. Should I be worried about the two DHCP entries? Could someone else be infiltrating my wireless network? Or is it normal to have two DHCP client entries for one computer?

By the way, I have MAC filtering enabled in my router's settings, with only my adapter's MAC number allowed.

Many thanks for any advice.

Pineman100 18:26 06 Jul 2007

...I've just realised that I should have posted this on the networking forum. I'll close it and repost there.

But if you'd rather respond here, please do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?