DG834G Home Networking

westglenn 21:40 23 May 2008

I have three computers, two desktops and one laptop. Desktops are wired connection, laptop is wireless.

My ISP is AOL. I have had no connection issues and like the DG834G but I am struggling to setup home networking.

All computers are running XP.

How do I configure the home networking?

Is there something I need to disable?

Help.

mgmcc 22:39 23 May 2008

Basically set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. At least one folder in each PC should be "shared" to get them communicating. Ideally all computers should be in the same Workgroup (although XP does support multiple Workgroups) and any firewall software should be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

westglenn 09:47 24 May 2008

Thank you for response.

It sounds like it might be a firewall issue, as the work group name is the same.

How do I confirm each computer's IP address?
Do I use ipconfig /all to obtain IP address?

I have McAffee firewall on one computer and Zone Alarms on the other.

To add a further question, if I want to expand the number of wired ports available on the network could I add a Netgear FS605 or FS608 switch?

mgmcc 15:18 24 May 2008

As you're using a Netgear DG834G, its own IP address is 192.168.0.1 so, to configure Zone Alarm, click the Firewall tab at the left and then the Zones tab at the top. Click the "Add" button and select "Subnet", type in:

IP address - 192.168.0.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Click "OK" and, back in the main window, click "Apply". Minimise Z.A. back to the System Tray.

By using the Subnet address of 192.168.0.0 instead of individual addresses, you're allowing access to all addresses from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 so it doesn't matter if the router's DHCP server allocates a different IP address to a particular computer. McAfee should have a similar option - I seem to recall configuring it once for someone and it actually used the subnet's 'broadcast' address of 192.168.0.255 to allow access to the full range.

Plugging a network "switch" into one of the router's LAN ports will give you additional ports and the router will still allocate IP addresses to any additional computers connected via the switch.

westglenn 22:31 24 May 2008

Thanks for your help.

That worked perfectly. Just wanted to leave closure for others search in the forum.

To change McAfee you goto Options, then Trusted IP's. Add the 192.168.0.255 and tick the "Make all the computers on you LAN Trusted." Finally, click ok.

No need to reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?