DG834 Time Based Usage Control

Mike@#36 12:02 29 Sep 2006

The advertising blurb for this states that there is Time Based usage control. However I have read all the manuals it came with, and on Netgears website but can find no info about this.

Does anyone else know about this and how to set it up?

ade.h 13:46 29 Sep 2006

"How to Schedule Services" is on page 74 of the PDF. Looks fairly basic.

Mike@#36 13:56 29 Sep 2006

Read all that but it seems to need port numbers etc. Not that simple.

ade.h 14:20 29 Sep 2006

Sorry, when I say basic, I mean in terms of functionality, not method. It seems to be quite easy, though. Go to the Firewall menu first and make an outbound rule to block internet access (see page 69 to 71) for whichever client you want to block, then you can use the schedule to influence when the rule is applied.

Mike@#36 16:42 29 Sep 2006

Thanks ade - to the rescue again.

Funny how things make more sense with a bit of extra explanation. The list of services look s bit daunting, do you know which one relates to MSN as it's that I want to restrict (appreciate you may not have the list but if I don't ask etc)

ade.h 17:14 29 Sep 2006

Someone asked the opposite question about MSN Messenger yesterday - how to unblock it, so I looked for the port number. It uses TCP port 1863. If you can add that port to your rule, that should do the job.

Mike@#36 20:12 29 Sep 2006

Thanks,
The 'add service' asked for ports 'from' and 'to' so I put 1863 in both. Set schedule accordingly so hope it works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?