devices.exe taking 90% of processing power - why?

tallboy 14:41 08 Jul 2009

In a separate discussion thread I was seeking help to fix a very slow Dell 500 PC. I still am!

I have just noticed from the task manager window that a process called devices.exe is taking up 90% of the CPU power, when the only application running was the updating of the Kaspersky Internet Security database. Why? What does it do and how can I stop it grabbing so much CPU time permanently?

I terminated the process, which seemed to have no ill effect and the KIS update speeded up considerably! May be I don't need it at all.

Graphicool1 14:58 08 Jul 2009

Have you got a Nokia? click here

Or do you use 'DriverMax'? click here

Sea Urchin 15:01 08 Jul 2009

Devices.exe is a file contained in DriverMax - a program for downloading new drivers. It can also be malware. I have DriverMax installed, but don't get this problem, so I would run a some checks with your anti-malware programs. (Especially if you don't have DriverMax)

Sea Urchin 15:01 08 Jul 2009

Great minds.....

Graphicool1 15:07 08 Jul 2009

I too use DriverMax but I don't have it on all the time. I only run it when checking for driver updates. Not because of the above file, but because I don't like the task bar being over crowded. So no, I haven't got that file hogging my resources.

tallboy 15:22 08 Jul 2009

Many thanks for the quick responses Graphicool1 & Sea Urchin.

Yes, I do have DriverMax running on the Dell PC. However, since I have just finished uupdating all the drivers to the current level (and given the fact that it is a 2001 PC, there are unlikely to be any further driver updates) I can certainly make it inactive and probably remove it altogether.

Interestingly, I also have it on my Mesh PC (which is still going through downloading updates) and I don't get the Processor-hogging on that machine, so I'll certainly investigate the possibility of malware on the Dell PC.

birdface 15:42 08 Jul 2009

An old thread from myself a while back with no replies.

click here

Remedy was to stop Driver max from running at start up.
I hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?