Device manager shows the same graphics card twice!

wyatt earp 20:45 11 Nov 2003

Hi folks - looking for some help. I have a Fujitsu Siemens M7VKA mobo with 1 ghz Athlon, 512 ram, Win XP home edition, 2 hard drives,2 optical drives,soundblaster pci,lan pci and usb cable modem. (card prior to new install Nvidea tnt 64)
I installed a new Radeon 9000 atlantis pro agp card to my pc today using the latest drivers from Ati. I am using my monitor on the DVI setting with a digital cable.

I have noticed the graphics card is displayed in device manager twice same description but the second one has a hyphon then secondary after it.

It does not matter which i disable or remove, at the next startup it comes back?

Could it be something in the bios? Perhaps enabling on board graphics? My bios is award modular version 6 (i think)

Any thoughts most welcome.
Thanks
Wyatt

Jester2K II 20:49 11 Nov 2003

Does the card have a dual output? Would this explain the problem?

Also is there actually a problem other than the duplicate entry?? ie crashes, error messages etc etc??

FEISAR 20:52 11 Nov 2003

Sounds like you have a Gremlin with Windows assuming you have two graphics cards. I read your previous thread. My advice for the simplest solution is to re-install and start again. Windows has got confused and the only way to sort that out is to start over.

wyatt earp 20:56 11 Nov 2003

Jester2k II - it does have a DVI & analogue output and can support two monitors - is this what you mean?
Also Windows freezes when either Weakest Link game starts up or my Star Wars dvd game starts up (only two games i have! - sad really, lol!!)

FEISAR - Do you mean windows or the graphics card?

wyatt earp 22:34 11 Nov 2003

I have re-installed my drive image copy to restore everything back to normal for tonight.

I would still welcome any other ideas as to how i can sort this problem.
Thanks
Wyatt

helmetshine 23:04 11 Nov 2003

It's not a problem Wyatt earp...as Jester says it's for the second display if you have a dual monitor setup.I get exactly the same thing on my Radeon and it's perfectly normal.

wyatt earp 07:14 12 Nov 2003

Thanks for that - Now just need to see why my pc locks up when running games!

Wyatt

helmetshine 12:46 12 Nov 2003

Check to see if you have VSYNC on...in the latest drivers it's in the 3d tab...go to display properties.....settings....advanced..need to put a check in the use custom settings box then click custom.Also check if there's an option in the game your playing to turn it off.I had a problem with Call Of Duty until i did that...cured it

wyatt earp 17:31 12 Nov 2003

I will have another go at this problem tonight and will let you know the result.

Each time i do so and it fails i re-install my drive image copy to put it back to how it was before - therefore the Radeon is not currently installed.

Thanks again
Wyatt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?