Device Manager listings

EJ1947 09:50 11 Nov 2006

Is it usual for a ASDL modem to work OK but not be listed in the device manager. I ask because I installed broadband for relative but the cd hung part way through. I continued to set up his connection by running the new connection wizard in XP. Once done it connected to talktalk but when I went into device manager to check everything there was no modem listed although a network adapter was listed. I expected to see the modem under USB items as mine does here. Thanks for any comments

johndrew 12:14 11 Nov 2006

I have an internal (dialup) modem and an external Speedtouch USB modem. I no longer use the dialup but have left it installed.

In Device Manager the internal modem shows up under `Modems` but the USB Speed touch is a new, standalone item which opens to show full details (ie. `Speedtouch 330 ADSL Modem`). I would have thought you should have something similar.

EJ1947 12:20 11 Nov 2006

Thanks for your comments. You describe what I can see on my system as well but this relatives PC lists nothing under modems but it still works and connects to internet. I would just like to know why or how?

Stuartli 12:31 11 Nov 2006

If it is a LAN device it will be listed under Network Adapter and the details found as usual by clicking on Properties after right clicking its listing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?