Device Manager does not show even the word network adapter

PatsyBeauregard 08:17 08 Feb 2015

I did a clean install on my sons Gigabyte computer GA-B85M-D3H and I cannot connect to the internet. Tried downloading Network adapter and it shows Cannot install drivers. No Intel (R) Adapters are present in this computer. Also I tried downloading Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver and it shows The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug cable. When I go into Device Manager it does not even show the word Network Aapter. Have being trying for 3 days, getting very frustrated. Please Help...

Jollyjohn 09:07 08 Feb 2015

It suggests to me the Network adapter is either disabled, in the BIOS, or it has failed.

To check it is enabled, enter the BIOS / Setup as PC starts and look for the LAN adapter, usually under Integrated peripherals, or similar.

If Network adapter is enabled in BIOS and it is still not found it suggests the device has failed. A replacement card is cheap and easy to install. An alternative is to buy a USB wireless adapter £7.50 from PC World.

alanrwood 10:04 08 Feb 2015

Check the motherboard spec, from the booklet or on a friends computer with internet, to determine which network is fitted ie Marvel, Intel, Realtek etc and obtain the correct driver. Firstly investigate JJ's advice above as it would seem the NIC is not being found or is switched off in the BIOS. If itv is faulty then a new Gb network card is around the same price £7-10 and easily installed after switching the on board one off in the BIOS.

Secret-Squirrel 10:14 08 Feb 2015

"When I go into Device Manager it does not even show the word Network Aapter"

Ah, but does it have a section called "Other Devices" containing one or more entries with a yellow exclamation mark? If it does then there's a chance it can see your network adapter but it's in an error state because the drivers haven't been installed. The drivers for your motherboard are available here. There's only one network adapter driver available and it's called Realtek LAN Driver.

PatsyBeauregard 01:31 09 Feb 2015

I did have yellow question marks on Device manager but downloaded the proper drivers SMBus controller and Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller I have always had my internet cable in the a lot. Also no light on port where cable is in.

Jollyjohn 09:24 09 Feb 2015

Is Network card enabled in BIOS?

alanrwood 10:50 09 Feb 2015

Patsy

The drivers you mention are nothing to do with the Network. Can you confirm you are referring to wired network and not wireless network

PatsyBeauregard 15:28 09 Feb 2015

I know that the drivers are nothing to do with network card. I just mentioned that I had to download them. No it is not wireless my Ethernet cable is plugged in and there is no light on the Internet ort either.

Regarding the network card enabled in bios. I am not sure. In peripherals it says onboard lan comtroller enabled would that be the network card?

Any help would've appreciated Pat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 09 Feb 2015

click here insert your operating system type i.e. windows 7

select the realteklan driver and download it to your pc copy the the driver to a usb stick and transfer it to the affected machine

double click the driver to install it.

PatsyBeauregard 16:19 09 Feb 2015

I know that the drivers are nothing to do with network card. I just mentioned that I had to download them. No it is not wireless my Ethernet cable is plugged in and there is no light on the Internet ort either.

Regarding the network card enabled in bios. I am not sure. In peripherals it says onboard lan comtroller enabled would that be the network card?

Any help would've appreciated Pat

Jollyjohn 16:41 09 Feb 2015

onboard lan controller - enabled - Yes this is your network card. If it is not listed in device manger it would suggest the card has failed. As I mentioned it is an easy task to add in a replacement. This is a link to my local computer shop - click here But I would probably go for this - click here from PC World. Either option will have a driver disk with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?