Device manager does not see my DVD drive

User-F2543C90-A375-4957-AC5715C260074746 06:56 05 Mar 2008

Im running an 18mnth old Evesham PC with worthless guarantee.A friend tried to fix it for me and now after alot of work its up and running but my Sony DDU1615 DVD drive is not to be found in device manager - but the sony dvdrw is. It wont play anything auto. but will open and eject although nothing happens so it has power.
I think he did something in safe mode to get the machine to boot from DVD - but hes not here to ask now - so how do I get the machine to recognise this 2nd drive?
Ive re booted - and have no system restore point
Any ideas please ?

HXP 08:18 05 Mar 2008

I had a sudden DVD/CD failure - replaced drive but windows would not recognise - followed process below, I am no expert but maybe worth a try as it worked.

[system]
[hardware]
[device manager]

Find DVD CD rom drives
right click
scan for hardware changes

Reboot

Insert CD into drives

See if recognised

If not next step depends if you had case off when your mate was helping you.

If you did I would disconnect drive, check if sharing IDE cable, if so make sure one set to master one set to slave using jumpers on back of drive - reboot.

Reconnect - reboot

Try above again

If you didn't have case off if that fails then my limited experience has run out - maybe faulty drive like I had ?

HXP

Sorry - this does not work for me.
I didnt mention but in MyComputer the D drive shows as DVD Ram not RW - there no other drive there

Ive not had the case off to change any connections - and prefer not to tamper unless really required. Nothing inside was changed (I think) - it was done on the screen.
So if theres an expert out there who can help with another idea please post.
thanks for looking

please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 06 Mar 2008

You need to check the jumpers on the back of the drive and that the data cable is in correctly at drive and motherboard end.

Is it on same cable as the DVD RW ?
then one should be master and other slave.

If still no good then try another cable or renew the drive at less than £20 for a noew drive they aren't worth repairing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017