Device manager can't see the devices

jrb1946 14:04 01 Jan 2007

Please could some kind person direct me to an answer to this problem.

Dell dimension desktop. uses XP home. Family machine. 6 USB ports.

I got a message this morning which said "USB hub port overload"

The following were plugged in as they always have been - printer, scanner, web cam - one per port. I do not use a hub, since I have 3 ports free.

But none of them show any signs of life - eg the scanner normally whirrs and buzzes for a couple of seconds after being plugged in which it now does not do and the web cam little "I'm on" light does not glow.

I have been to the control panel->system->device manager. Here I normally find a long list of devices which reassures me amongst other things that each device is working properly.

The device manager window is completely blank. Just a white space, no list - nothing, not even the name of the computer. I tried to restart in safe mode. After selecting the SAFE MODE option in what looks like an MS-DOS screen nothing happens at all - so I don't appear to be able to start in safe mode!

So there are two questions.

1) How can I get the device manager list back?

2) What does a USB message about "hub port overloads" really mean?

John

Kingfisher 14:12 01 Jan 2007

this might help click here

skidzy 15:00 01 Jan 2007

Have you tried unplugging the devices and reboot the system.

It may be possible your psu is failing or even overheating.Open the case and make sure the fans are free of dust etc and spinning.

jrb1946 16:15 01 Jan 2007

skidzy, thanks, Kingfisher above got it in one. A very large number of the settings in Services(services.mcs) had been set to disabled.
Too many relatives of varying shapes and sizes here over the last few days I think.
So I have reset them back to automatic and that seems to have restored the system back to normal.
thanks again John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone