device driver and yellow exclamtion mark

Shepstar 12:46 21 Nov 2006

I've just finished re-installing Windows xp media centre on my PC, however I find that I have some devices with no drivers in device manager

2*Multimedia controller
multimedia video controller
PCI device
Unknown Device

Does anyone know how I can properly identify these devices and find the appropriate drives as they do not seem to be on any of the CD's that came with my computer?

Stuartli 12:56 21 Nov 2006

Try installing the driver for each device from Device Manager and allowing Windows to search for the driver online.

Skills 12:58 21 Nov 2006

Multimedia controller is most likely your sound card. Video controller im not to sure could be a tv capture card?

Have you tried leeting windows search for a driver and let it check windows update.

Also if you get hold of everest free edtion click here and then use that you can identify what hardware you have and then find the drivers.

Shepstar 13:15 21 Nov 2006

sorry I know I was a little short on details.

I've tried using device manager to find the drivers, i've also tried deleting them and checking for new hardware as I heard this sometimes helps. So far I've had no luck.

The drivers for my twin ati X1600 graphics cards and my creative X-Fi sound card are installed and running correct as well

^wave^ 13:32 21 Nov 2006

looking at what you have said it looks to me that you may not have the graphics andd sound card installed proply difficult to tell with out seeing it

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:35 21 Nov 2006

I think you will find it is an ATI problem, you may need to visit their site and have a look around, your cards may appear to be installed but maybe not.

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:55 21 Nov 2006

From the ATI site:
>Media Center requires a supported TV Tuner card and an MPEG-2 video encoding / decoding sub-system<

Could this be your mystery device?

Greengage 15:53 21 Nov 2006

Have you tried up-dating the drivers with your motherboard disk loaded, appreciating your comments in your opening post?

Shepstar 08:10 22 Nov 2006

I tried removing and reinstalling the ati drivers using the install program on the ati cd that came with the computer. Although I am back where I started this post again, I did notice that the first part of the install failed because according to the message that showed up briefly I was not running in my basic VGA mode or something. I assumed this ment safe mode as that only loads basic drivers, but I tried that and got the same message.

So is there another way to boot only with the basic VGA capabilities?

Shepstar 18:04 25 Nov 2006

OK so it turns out it was the TV card and I I downloaded the drivers from the hauppauge web site and my computer imediatly recognised them and installed with no problem. That is with the exception of the exclamation labeled PCI device, still I have a good idea where to go to get that I just havent had the time yet.

I just wanted to say thanks for your time and help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?