Device driver stuck in infinite loop

questions4u 08:39 13 Jul 2010

When I boot-up I get a message that a problem is detected and windows has been shut down to protect the pc. "problem caused by file: nv4_disp"
It states that a device driver is stuck in an infinate loop.
I restored to a date prior to the problem but the same message appears. I am really stuck as to what to do. Any help will be much appreciated.

tims31 09:18 13 Jul 2010

Hi,

The best thing I can suggeszt for this would be to try and update the driver for your graphics card. There are lots of links to fixes of this error if you try a google search but most suggest a driver update.

If the driver update doesn't work then you could also try and role back your driver too. Have you recently installed a update to this driver...maybe windows update?

Hope that helps a little.

questions4u 10:12 13 Jul 2010

Thanks I did not realise it was the graphics card.however my problem now is that as I cannot access windows I am unsure how to access the internet to enable me to download a new driver.

gengiscant 10:21 13 Jul 2010

If you can get into safe mode uninstall your graphics card driver there. Then reboot and download the latest from here click here

tims31 11:27 14 Jul 2010

What do you mean by "I cannot access windows"? Is it not booting up or you don't see anything?

Try booting into "safe mode" as gengiscant says. If your not sure how to do that, start machine and press F8 until the machine boots up with a screen asking how you would like to start? Select "safe mode" with networking then once the machine has started right click on "my computer" and select manage or go into control panel and select system then device manager and delete the driver for you graphics card and then re-boot.

(This is for win XP and I am doing this off the top of my head so it my not be the exact path. If you get into trouble post back and I will give the exact description) What operating system are you using?

Also have a look here click here

woodchip 11:45 14 Jul 2010

As it seems you can get to Safe Mode to do a Restore, Why not go to Device Manger and choose Roll-back Drivers for graphics card. also look for the above drive and delete it after doing a roll-back

woodchip 11:49 14 Jul 2010
  questions4u 13:25 14 Jul 2010

Thanks alot guys, you've all been really helpful.
I managed to delete the driver and am about to download the latest driver.

tims31 15:00 14 Jul 2010

Haha,

For once I seem to have beaten Woodchip to an answer....had already posted that link ;)

At least I know I must have been on the right lines with the answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?