Device driver problem

al7478 17:48 25 Mar 2007

I've had another stop error. I didnt actually get a blue screen this time, i just had to restart from the tower as i couldnt even refresh the screen as it had gone blank, as i have it set to do after a few minutes.

Below is the result of an error report from microsoft, any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

al7478 18:01 25 Mar 2007

I could just call Dell tommorrow, as it's still under warranty (3 years, it's leaa than a year old), but I'm not sure if there's anything they can do...? I have installed various programmes in the last couple of weeks, so maybe one of them is the cause of the problem, but virus scans do'nt show anything.

Totally-braindead 18:53 25 Mar 2007

Reinstall the motherboard drivers and the graphics card drivers first and see what happens.

skidzy 18:57 25 Mar 2007

If a driver problem i doubt DEll will sort this for free !

Check device manager if problems persist after running the driver and utilities disc as Totally-braindead suggests.

al7478 18:58 25 Mar 2007

thankyou both1

al7478 19:43 25 Mar 2007

In my naivity(sic) I expected it to be somewhat more straight forward than it appears to be. How does one install the graphics card and mobo drivers?

Stuartli 19:46 25 Mar 2007

I would suggest installing the latest versions of the motherboad and graphics card drivers from the manufacturer's websites.

al7478 20:32 25 Mar 2007

I THINK I've done that Stuartli. But when i tried to install the graphics driver it told me the 1 I have already is more up to date than the one i tried to install.

I've done so much to it in recent weeks I'm frankly scared to do much. I think i might have to "get a bloke in". Or a woman, i'm not fussy. But having bought this pc so recently, I dont want to part with it. Cant afford to.

skidzy 20:39 25 Mar 2007

Have you actually upgraded this Graphics card ?

if you are having all sorts of problems,have you considered a recovery/restore.

If its possible to you,backup all the datas that needs saving and try F11 for a recovery to factory settings-therefore giving you an almost new pc again,though will need updating and reload the programs.
You may be lucky with the os on a hidden partition and and option to repair and save data without corruption.
Though do be aware,none of this would help if its a hardware issue.

When you bought this Dell,did you create the recovery cd ? possibly using Sonic.

al7478 20:56 25 Mar 2007

I didnt create a restore cd.

i havent entered the world of backing up with an external hd yet (dont have 1, or acronis yet either - i was going to start doing that in a couple of weeks if my system seemed ok.

where does that leave me? Can i still do a recovery/restore - i can back files and programmes up on a dvd?

is it fairly straight forward to install all necassary updates?

AVG is still showing no problems. Hopefully its just coincidence that ive installed some freeware and got rid of norton lately.

I have actually noticed the system slowing unusually lately, and it is sometimes more noisy.

al7478 20:56 25 Mar 2007

i havent upgraded the graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?