Destop Wireless

jim63 19:48 27 Sep 2008

How do I use desktop pc to connect wireless to Virgin internet as well as my laptop

woodchip 19:51 27 Sep 2008

You need to fit a Wireless PCI card or use a USB Wireless adapter. a USB adapter about £9.99 at Aldi

jim63 21:56 27 Sep 2008

I have the Belkin Router which I use laptop with but would like to connect desktop with wireless.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 27 Sep 2008

click here wireless dongle just plug in and run network wizard to instal to your modem.

jim63 22:09 27 Sep 2008

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
Please do NOT purchase this !, 28 May 2007
By S. Dalvi - See all my reviews

Thanks Fruitbat but found this review on your link
Hi,
I bought this USB adaptor for my old laptop and returned the good Linksys adaptor only because this one was cheap (wish I hadn't).
The driver program that comes with the adaptor is buggy. Drops connections quite frequently and causes Windows to hang if you remove the adaptor.

After around a month, the adaptor suddenly died. It just stopped working!
Just want to help others from making the same mistake I made.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 27 Sep 2008

My advice was to use the network wizard not the dongle's own software.

All dongles are built to the same standards and therefore windows own drivers will work.

jim63 09:19 28 Sep 2008

Not very good at pc not sure what you mean by network wizard. The one you mentioned would be okay?

Technotiger 09:23 28 Sep 2008

Is in Start>Control Panel>Network Setup Wizard

Technotiger 09:24 28 Sep 2008

PS - the dongle mentioned by Fruit Bat /\0/\ should be fine.

evertheoptimist1 12:16 16 May 2009

the cheapest way to connect a desktop pc to a wireless router is with a cable. It needs to be the same type as the ethernet cable with the same type of plug on each end , plug one end into the back of the computer where you would normally plug the ethernet cable into and the other end into the back of your router any of the LAN ports but not the WAN port which should be directly connected to your modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires