Desperate, Please Help

leopoldblack 13:43 09 Jul 2008

G'day

I'm trying to play Diablo II LOD.
However, when i go to play it, it loads and then this message appears:

"Diablo II Critical Error
Error 22: A critical error has occurred while
intializing DirectDraw."

I think it may be because i don't have a video driver. I'm pretty sure i have the latest version of Direct x (ie Direct X redist End User)

My computer's details, if at all useful to my problems resolution
Hardware: LG computer i think
Processor - AMD Sempron, 2800+, 1.99 GHz, 448MB RAM
System: Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002

ANDDD if this is useful, i just accessed System through the control panel, went into the Device Manager, selected Video Controller and went to install hardware, but now theres a panel saying that:

The software you are installing for this hardware (VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP) has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP and as such that its highly recommended that i don't continue.

Is this a solution?
Should i go ahead?
Is there anything else you need to know?

Basically i just want to play Diablo. I even payed for and downloaded something called 'Driver Genius Professional' in the hopes that this would download a missing video driver that some other program told me i needed. 40 wasted bucks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ditch999 14:19 09 Jul 2008

To begin with you have integrated graphics which is not a good thing to be trying to play a game with.
Run the DX diagnostics by going Start>Run and typing in dxdiag then hit enter. Run the 2 tests under the Display tab.

Ditch999 14:21 09 Jul 2008

The Direct X features should be all enabled in the Display tab

crosstrainer 14:23 09 Jul 2008

I'm afraid your graphics are not really up to the job of running the game. You could try downloading the latest drivers from the LG site.

Prior to looking there, run this tool (free)

It will give you a detailed report on what your graphics specs. are.

click here

Run the tool and post back with your results.

kalignorgna 14:28 09 Jul 2008

first of Diablo II was designed for 98-2000 so xp or later will have Direct X 8.0+ most likeley and when instaling the video driver just click continue it will still work fine (happens a lot with new grapics cards because they are designed for vista not xp my 9600GT XXX said it when i installed it for instance). so its not a big deal as it works fine after install. also use the driver disk that came with it or go to drivegide.com (its free but will need an acount).

kalignorgna 14:47 09 Jul 2008

oh and on a note the game disk come with Direct X 7.0 so if you install the game you will have the corect Direct X version

leopoldblack 14:54 09 Jul 2008

Ok i have run the diagnostic tool for directx

It says that i have direct x 9 installed
Also, that: The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

I also ran the Belarc Adviser as per your advice crosstrainer. It says the following:

Network Drives
None detected

Processor a
2.00 gigahertz AMD Sempron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: KM266PRO-8235
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 02/17/2005

BTW thanks a lot for your help thus far guys
Where to from here?

crosstrainer 15:30 09 Jul 2008

It seems that your board is no longer supported, but you could try contacting Via (who make it)

click here

leopoldblack 15:38 09 Jul 2008

If my board is no longer supported, what are the implications of this? Does that mean there is no longer any software available for download that will enable it?

Also, what ought i say to VIA, having followed the link that you have provided?

brundle 15:43 09 Jul 2008
  leopoldblack 15:56 09 Jul 2008

Well done good sir, well done indeed lol

OK, the site tells me that: Your video card Name and Manufacturer will be listed in the Device section. (of the DX diagnostic tool)

No such video card Name and Manufacturer is listed in the place stated.

Is it possible that i simply do not have a video card and as such need to purchase one? If so, what would you advise for my current system (plus 500MB RAM we're buying)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017