Desperate for help

the golfer 15:00 24 Dec 2006

I cannot get the computer to start. It ties in somehow with uninstalling windows defender. I have tried repairing from the win xp home cd and everything stalls at the register windows page. I have tried running the recovery console from the win xp home cd and can't get it to complete. I have downloaded the win xp home startup to six floppies and can't get them to start up either. Can anyone offer me any hope????

terryf 15:07 24 Dec 2006

Have you gone into the bios and set the boot sequence to 1 floppy 2 cd 3 hard drive? then after you have done this does it try to boot from floppy?

rezeeg 15:48 24 Dec 2006

What exactly doesn't start? Is it possible for you to get into Safe Mode (continuously press F8 whilst starting up) in order to do a System Restore?

the golfer 16:00 24 Dec 2006

I don't know how to go into bios!!! I put the flopy into the drive and start the computer. Is that it?? I can get it into safe mode, but even last known configuration doesn't help. I think I have tried almost everything.

VoG II 16:18 24 Dec 2006

Can you get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If so type

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter to launch System Restore.

terryf 17:19 24 Dec 2006

To get into the bios you probably press Del almost as soon as it starts up the text screen

skidzy 20:30 24 Dec 2006

If no joy trying to get into the bios with the Delete key on startup,try the F2 key.
As above ..you will need to change the boot order to boot from floppy and not the hdd or cd if trying to boot from floppies as pointed out.

Just a thought,have you tried pressing F11 on startup,you may be lucky and have a restore/recovery option within a hidden partition.

Strawballs 21:57 24 Dec 2006

When in safe mode have you tried system restore

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires