Desperate hard drive help needed!

1985Ads 19:49 15 Jan 2015

Hi my PC has died and I am trying to rescue the data on the hard drive. I have purchased a 'Dynamode 3.5 external sata hard disk drive enclosure' and have tried to access the data on the hard drive using that.

However, when I go to open the file it won't let me open anything unless I format the hard drive. Obviously I'm not going to format the hard drive otherwise I will lose the data.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Please help!!

Thanks

1985Ads 20:08 15 Jan 2015

sorry, i'm using a caddy linked to my laptop to recover the data from the PC but its not working!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 15 Jan 2015

Look in disk management and tell us how the drive is shown - is it shown as RAW.

1985Ads 21:09 15 Jan 2015

i can't find disk management anywhere? Windows system is windows 7 on my laptop and the hard-drive was from a windows 7 PC, (slight possibility the PC was XP. It was my sisters computer and she isn't 100% certain but Im pretty sure it was 7)

1985Ads 21:12 15 Jan 2015

found disk management. Yes it is shown as RAW

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 15 Jan 2015

Right click Computer - select manage from the menu - Disk management

1985Ads 21:17 15 Jan 2015

it's RAW Fuit Bat

1985Ads 21:19 15 Jan 2015

*Fruit sorry lol

1985Ads 22:01 15 Jan 2015

ok trying now, back soon

1985Ads 22:15 15 Jan 2015

just get the same thing; first message 'you need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it. do you want to format it?' click cancel then second message 'E:/ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognised file system. Please make sure that allrequired file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted'.

robin_x 22:42 15 Jan 2015

Lots of Google results mentioning this and RAW.

click here

None seem to have a definitive answer. Some blame caddy/adapter. Some say bad partition table.

• Try another computer

• Set a drive letter for the RAW partition if it doesn't have one

• Try Recuva or other Data Recovery

• TestDisk may work, but it's not very user friendly.

• Minitool Data Recovery may work but free trial is only for 1GB of data

• My idea: If everything else fails, try MiniTool Partition Wizard and run Partition Recovery Wizard with RAW drive highlighted. But I'm not sure if it will have a go, or if it might recover a different historic partition. That's why I say Last Resort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?