Desperate- blue sceren!

c_norris1989 12:07 18 Jul 2004

My computer won't start! it comes on, gets to the Win Me splash screen and the screen turns bluer and says "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System halted." and will not respond. when i restart my computer it asks me if i would like to start it in safe mode or selective startup or normal startup. It happened yesterday, I installed pc accelerator 6000 it had some, then I turned it off. When i switched it back on again the blue screen appeared. I managed to uninstall the program as if I go on selective startup and choose not to open anything it works but only in 16 colour mode. I really need my computer working please help! It is running windows me.

pc moron 12:43 18 Jul 2004

Do you get any other info in the error message or just "Windows Protection Error"?

If you get more info then post the exact error message.

Microsoft's answer click here

Have you tried a System Restore?

Totally-braindead 14:31 18 Jul 2004

There is no system restore with Windows Me. Start in safe mode and use add/remove programs to delete the pc accelerator program, restart and see what happens, if it starts normally then great, if not then you'll need to delete the accelerator program from startup. Then try restarting.

gold 47 14:35 18 Jul 2004

Windows ME does have system restore as i use WME on my dual boot system.

gold 47 14:41 18 Jul 2004

If you still can't restore your computer go into dos on A:\ PROMPT type scanreg /restore and enter.
Please put a space between scanreg and forward slash.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?