Desktop/Laptop Different download speeds

I've a Laptop and a Desktop with both having almost identical spec. I'm using a D-Link Router and the download speed on the laptop is 93.62 Mbps and the Desktop is 21.8Mbps. Both upload speeds are 0.83 and 0.84 Mbps resepectivley.

Any ideas as I believe that both are set up the same?

lotvic 20:39 15 Aug 2010

Did you test them both at the same time or one at once?
If you did them both at the same time they are having to share the available bandwidth (and they don't share evenly)one will pinch more bandwidth.

Thanks Lotvic but I tested them one after the other. I'm on TalkTalk, and about 1km from the main B.T Exchange for Middlesbrough.

Ibanez2010 22:16 15 Aug 2010

I had this issue with a laptop that was slower online than my desktop. Using the SG TCP opimizer fixed it for me.
click here

Alan-Petrie 22:16 15 Aug 2010

how do they connect to the router?

woodchip 22:21 15 Aug 2010

I had something like that, Desktop Connected by Ethernet was twice as fast as Wireless Laptop. I ran TCP Optimizer And Optimized the Settings it now downloads and uploads same speed as Wired Desktop click here

My laptop uses it's internal wireless connection and same with the desktop. I've tried using the cable connection to the router, can't remember its name but it look like a large phone connection plug. Same results.

woodchip 22:32 15 Aug 2010

They may connect the same but settings and modem will differ

woodchip 22:35 15 Aug 2010

No point in asking for help unless you are willing to listen, and try

PS

No point in asking for help unless you are willing to listen, and try
=====================================

What do you mean by that? I've tried all that has been suggested so far and still hoping for something to work. Please explain.

woodchip 22:51 15 Aug 2010

As I said Download TCP Optimizer From the Link above, after starting the program by double clicking on the download set it to Optimize the Settings on your Computer, it will then ask you to Restart the Computer. Then test it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?