desktop / wireless laptop printer connection

awest3 20:23 04 Apr 2007

I have a desktop, (dell 5000) and a dell latitude laptop...I connect through a router (netgear) to the web...and through a wireless link for the laptop....both run XP (2). My question is can I use the printer connected to the desktop from my laptop via the router wirelexx link..?

any help welcomed..

Thanks Al

woodchip 20:26 04 Apr 2007

Yes but you have to network the computers and have them both turned on to use the Printer. If you want to know how just come back

awest3 08:57 05 Apr 2007

Hi Woodchip,

yes please...can you let me know how to do it...

Many Thanks Al

weemacs 09:43 05 Apr 2007

you have to network the main computer have it switched on with the printer set up on it shared and with a share name. You then add a printer to your laptop in the usual fashion but instead of it being a local printer you select the networked printer from the share name you have given it

woodchip 09:48 05 Apr 2007

Start all computers you want to share, and any printers. Then Go to Control Panel, Networking Wizard run through that and make a Floppy you can use on other computers, Or you may be able to use a Memory stick etc. When you have setup the First computer, this should be on a XP computer, us the disc in the other comps there is just one file on the floppy double click it and it will network to other comps do this with all comps. Do not turn any off until you have networked, To share you right click a item in Windows Explorer and click share, then set settings. Save the disc yolu created with a Name "Networking Disc"

awest3 16:02 15 Dec 2009

sorted.. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone