Desktop will not boot up

dalglish 09:31 08 Nov 2004

Hi

My desktop running XP home is refusing to boot up - two loud beeps on start up and the floppy drive light remains permanently on. The only modification I have made recently was replacing a faulty graphics card which has been working fine for 6 weeks.
Occasionally, the PC does boot up normally if I mouse click but this may be coincidental.
Any ideas guys?

Steve

rawprawn 09:41 08 Nov 2004

Will it boot up in safe mode (Tap F8)

dalglish 09:51 08 Nov 2004

No tried to boot into safemode but all I get are the same two beeps. Even the monitor refuses to fire up.

Gongoozler 09:59 08 Nov 2004

Floppy drive light permanently on usually is cause by the ribbon cable being reversed. If that doesn't help, try unplugging all the drives from the motherboard and see if you can boot to a normal POST beep. If that doesn't help, disconnect everything else from the motherboard except the memory, processor with heatsink, power supply, graphics card and power switch. If you still don't get normal POST, there isn't much more to suspect!

dalglish 10:07 08 Nov 2004

thanks will try that but why would a PC working perfectly suddenly behave like this? No-one apart from me has touched the PCT and I never touched the floppy cable.
As before, the fault appears intermittent- would this still be a ribbon cable ?

Graham ® 10:13 08 Nov 2004

2 beeps may indicate a memory problem

click here

dalglish 15:03 08 Nov 2004

thanks guys
will update later

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?