Desktop shortcuts run setup programme instead.Why

grabster 19:15 03 May 2005

Hmm. when i try to start various apps from my desktop shortcuts i get different setup programmes running instead which i have to cancel about 5 times before my intended app will load. What causes this ? and how do i fix it ?
Tia.

Diodorus Siculus 19:19 03 May 2005

Try tweakUI from microsoft; it has an option to repair icons.

What OS are you running?

grabster 19:23 03 May 2005

Hi, running xp home.
gonna check tweakui now,

Diodorus Siculus 19:26 03 May 2005

Try also the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

Pooke100 20:19 03 May 2005

right click your HDD> click properties> click tools> error checking> and choose "automatically fix file system errors". You'll be asked to schedule it for the next restart press yes.

Reboot and let that run.

it may help.

grabster 06:04 04 May 2005

Tried all your suggestions but the problem persists. No matter where i try to start the programme from,desktop or installation folder.
For example when i try to run "dvdcoversearchpro" the setup for "netcrafttoolbar" tries to install about 5 times before the intended app will open.It aint a spyware thing as my system is well protected and i run regular scans using all the usual apps.Any more ideas ?

Pooke100 15:24 04 May 2005

^bump^

bertiecharlie 19:27 04 May 2005

I've had something similar thing after a botched uninstall of a programme. Try running the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from click here and remove anything shown on the list that you have previously uninstalled.

If there is nothing relevant on the list at least this gives you a bump up the page.

grabster 21:29 04 May 2005

Thanks for the replies, the suggestion from bertiecharlie seems to have done the trick.About time as well, it was driving me nuts. Cheers to all .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?