desktop shortcuts problem

heepster 11:03 06 Aug 2008

Am running xp and after reinstalling xp when I click on my desktop shortcuts, I am told that the address is incorrect , but then it seems to redirect and works fine. The addresses are correct by the way. Any ideas anyone?

crosstrainer 11:27 06 Aug 2008

Sounds as if the re-install has mucked up the icon settings.

Download Tweakui for xp:

click here

And use the "Repair Icons" function.

heepster 16:00 06 Aug 2008

Thanks tried this but problem still there.

crosstrainer 16:04 06 Aug 2008

Must be in the registry then try:

click here

And:

click here

In all cases, backup the registry when prompted to be safe.

heepster 17:09 06 Aug 2008

Tried both these and run them. Loads of registry problems fixed but the shortcut problem is still there. Is there anything else I can try?

crosstrainer 17:12 06 Aug 2008

It's a bit long winded, but you could try deleting the shortcuts, and then re-creating them.

Try it with a couple first to see if it works.

heepster 18:03 06 Aug 2008

Hmm thats the first thing I tried when this started happening. This problem also occurs when i click on an embedded link on a site.

crosstrainer 18:05 06 Aug 2008

Malware? Or maybe a repair install.

heepster 18:31 06 Aug 2008

I think you could be right to do a repair install. Will find out how you ndo this and give it a try.Many thanks

VoG II 18:38 06 Aug 2008

Repair click here

Diversion 18:59 06 Aug 2008

Are you by any chance using Window Washer, as when I was running XP Pro I found that after using W.W. that I had problems with the desktop shortcuts not reacting? And sometimes it used to wipe away the biggest part of my shortcuts from the desktop. But as crosstrainer is sort of suggesting you installation has most likely become unstable with Malware, if it is Malware I suggest a clean installation as a repair would leave the Malware behind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires