Desktop shortcuts

phil.smith 10:34 25 Jul 2007

I have recently installed a couple of programmes which have set a shortcut on the desk top and in the task bar. However when I click on the shortcut on the desktop it will not open the programme. I have to click on the icon in the taskbar to open the programme.

Can I change the settings so it opens from the desktop?

Eric10 10:41 25 Jul 2007

I may not be reading your post correctly but do you realise that you have to double-click the Desktop shortcut to start the program? You can also right-click it and choose 'Open' from the menu.

phil.smith 10:46 25 Jul 2007

Hi Eric - I realise that but even then it doesn't open. If I exit the programme from the taskbar however it will then open from the desktop!

johnnyrocker 10:49 25 Jul 2007

either uninstall and re install choosing advanced options or delete from taskbar?

johnny.

Diodorus Siculus 10:52 25 Jul 2007

What happens if you copy the icon that is in the taskbar to the desktop?

Eric10 11:03 25 Jul 2007

If you mean the icons are in the System Tray at the bottom right of the taskbar rather than in the Quick Launch area at the left then it will be a feature of the program. If this is the case then you usually launch the main window of the program from a right-click on the System Tray icon. The desktop icon is only used to restart the program if it has been stopped.

audeal 12:54 25 Jul 2007

I suggest you delete the icon on the desktop and make a new shortcut from the program file in C:/programs. It should work then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?