desktop shortcut

mobileman1953 18:55 27 Apr 2008

i am running vista home premium , wanted to create new shortcut on desktop , when i right click on desktop menu appears, when i click on create new shortcut nothing appears, anyone know why and how i can fix this

thanks

Technotiger 18:58 27 Apr 2008

If you want to make a shortcut to a Program, you should right-click on the program in your Start>All Programs and then you will be able to go to Create Shortcut, then the shortcut will appear on the desktop.

mobileman1953 19:04 27 Apr 2008

i know how to create shortcut from a program but i am curious why i can not create new one from desktop reason being i seen a tutorial how to create a shortcut for safely removing hardware

Technotiger 19:06 27 Apr 2008

Hmm, OK, but why do you need a shortcut for something that should already be in your System Tray at bottom of screen?

Technotiger 19:07 27 Apr 2008

PS - although I am thinking XP, I don't have Vista, so perhaps that is different.

Technotiger 19:09 27 Apr 2008

A quick Google finds the answer ... click here

mobileman1953 19:11 27 Apr 2008

there is a shortcut on the taskbar which i can use i did not mean to appear ungrateful for your advice Technotiger , i just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and was able to find a solution

mobileman1953 19:14 27 Apr 2008

that is the article i was refering to but when i
Right-click on the desktop, select ‘New’ and then ‘Shortcut’. For the item location, copy and paste the following no shortcut appears so i can not follow the rest of the instructions

Technotiger 19:28 27 Apr 2008

Probably a silly question, but after you had copy/pasted the item location, did you click on Next in the shortcut creation window?

Technotiger 19:32 27 Apr 2008

On my XP desktop I have just created exactly the same shortcut that you are trying to create, I had no problem with it at all, 'twas all very straightforward.

brundle 19:34 27 Apr 2008

This should appear after selecting New/Shortcut; click here
See this; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?