Desktop Screen Size Help Required

I,Me and Myself 11:10 22 Apr 2007

Upon starting our PC today the desktop screen size (which is 800 x 600) is appearing 'stretched'. When we change it to 1024 x 768 it is how it is meant to appear. How can we make the 800 x 600 screen appear 'normal'?
We are using Windows XP.

Gongoozler 11:35 22 Apr 2007

When you right click on the desktop, select "Properties" and then the "Desktop" tab, is the position shown as "Stretch"? Does the picture you are using have a 1.33:1 aspect ratio?

I,Me and Myself 11:43 22 Apr 2007

Sorry, my mistake.

What the problem is is the actual desktop screen resolution and not the background pictures.

It looks like it is in 'widescreen' mode and the text and fonts are bigger and stretched than as they should look.

Gongoozler 13:05 22 Apr 2007

As both 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 are both 1.33:1 ratio, they should both display the same aspect ratio, so although in 800 x 600 the icons would appear big and blocky they should be the same shape. I think that either the graphics driver could have become corrupted of the graphics card developed a fault. Some monitors don't like being set to other than their intended resolution-refresh rate combinations, so another possibility is that this has been changed. Is the stretching within the adjustment range of the monitor, or does changing the refresh rate help?

I,Me and Myself 21:21 22 Apr 2007

I think it is something to do with the graphic card settings.

Gongoozler 09:21 23 Apr 2007

If you right click on a blank part of the desktop, select the "Settings" tab, click "Advanced" button, then the "Adapter" tab and the "List All Modes" button, you will be presented with all the valid resolution/refresh rate options for your graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?