Desktop scannow

bristolgirl 17:43 23 Jan 2007

Hi
Due to problems I was having with my laptop, I have consequently run scannow sfc on the families desktop.

Well, I was asked to put in the XP CD, service pack 2, so many times to cure the "corruptions" but I don't have this. I pretty sure I downloaded it ~ could be wrong.

Any ideas as to what to do. I really don't want to go fiddling around with the registry keys as I won't know what I'm doing.

Thanks.

VoG II 17:46 23 Jan 2007

click here may help.

bristolgirl 10:19 24 Jan 2007

Thanks for your help VoG™

I unchecked the "Hide protected operating system files", on My Computer but this still did not stop the error.

I am reluctant to do the recommened part as suggested by your helpful link. I would really worry about it and it seems very complicated.

Do you think that downloading a registry key fix program might help?

keef66 10:31 24 Jan 2007

can you borrow an xp cd from somebody else?

Stuartli 10:33 24 Jan 2007

Do you have two optical drives on the Desktop?

If so make sure you are using the D drive, usually the rewriter if you have a ROM drive as well.

bristolgirl 10:42 24 Jan 2007

keef66, thanks, I think I'm going to have to ask around aren't I? Will it matter if it takes time?

Stuartli, you've lost me I afraid (not difficult). Do you mind spelling it out for me?

Thanks!

rawprawn 10:46 24 Jan 2007

Did you point your computer to your C: drive as in the link from Vog?
like this
STEP 1
You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called:

I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

-----------------------------

Step 2

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:
Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

------------------------------

bristolgirl 11:00 24 Jan 2007

Thanks for your help rawprawn. I guess that I am going to try and get a copy of a XP CD from somewhere.

MichelleC 14:01 24 Jan 2007

This may help click here

jhm 14:49 24 Jan 2007

I had this exact same thing a while ago and if memory serves it didn't ask for the XP CD, but the XP SP2 CD which I had from Microsoft and is availble from click here.
It will be easier to get hold of if this is what you want

surfmonkey #:@}© 14:57 24 Jan 2007

just a thought do you need an xp cd isn`t there a folder in c:\windows\I386 could you not ude that instead of the cd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017