Desktop Resetting...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Antz 14:49 07 Nov 2004

I have a very serious problem with my P.C. My desktop keeps resetting and reloading when I am in the middle of doing something. This is most prevalent when I close or open a window. When it reloads I sometimes need to rebooth as half my links are either dead or attempting to open with the wrong program, e.g text file with media player. Explorer.exe also hangs on booth-up which requires several restarts to get things going.

I am also getting a very annoying request from a program attempting to access the internet called ( something like)'[email protected]' but I cannot locate the source of this despite running both spybot and lavasoft ad-aware. However, this may not be anything to do with my more serious problem. I have run the latest update of my Anti-virus and still NOTHING. The only possible cause (in my own opinion) may be to do with installing Registry Mechanic, I ran and implemented a full system scan recently using this software.

Unfortunatley, I cannot do a full system restore beyond a few days ago as I regularly clean up my hard disks, but I know Registry Mechanic created it's own restore point. I am a little reluctant to restore this as my P.C had a lot of registry errors and it was running very slow.........but I think I may have to!!!!!

My system is

XP PRO,
P3 866mhz
384 Ram,
20gb+40gb HDD's
64 mb geforce mx440.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated as this is a right mess,
Anthony

Dan the Confused 15:14 07 Nov 2004

When you say Registry Mechanic created it's own restore point do you mean a registry backup? If you haven't installed anything since running it then I would advise restoring this backup and then using another registry cleaner, such as RegScrubXP click here

(Reboot after restoring the backup.)

rawprawn 15:55 07 Nov 2004

It wouldn't hurt to run a system file check.
Start / Run / Type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) you will need your XP disc if the scan finds a problem.

rawprawn 16:13 07 Nov 2004

Do not click on the email link posted by Antz, I just did idly thinking I would copy and google it and my computer went mad. Before I could stop it I had 53 internet connections, lost control of the mouse and the only way to regain control was to switch off at the mains. I don't know what it was but I have done a system restore to be on the safe side and I will now scan.

VoG II 16:19 07 Nov 2004

Try running Ad-aware click here Spybot click here CWShredder click here and a² click here

If they don't work, we'll talk you through posting a HijackThis log.

rawprawn 16:25 07 Nov 2004

I have suffered no damage, but I agree with VoG™
regarding scanning

Antz 17:10 07 Nov 2004

Sorry about the email link guys, I should probably have known better given the nature of my problem.

rawprawn 17:30 07 Nov 2004

No problem, have you scanned?

Antz 21:41 07 Nov 2004

Okay...this is what happened. First of all, I restored the back-up of the registry that 'Registry Mechanic' created before scanning my system. This seemed to stabilize everything. ( I have dumped this software ). I ran all the scans recommended by the suggestions above. Nothing was found by anything until the very last moment when CWSHREDDER found and fixed a single 'INFECTED REGISTRY ENTRY'. I have re-booted and everything seems O.K.

I guess the moral of the story is that longstanding advice about messing with the registry is to taken seriously. I would have thought that mainstream software would be safe to use though. Is it possible that the software itself may have planted this thing or am I being paranoid.

Thanks for the Help...........sorry again about the email link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?