DESKTOP or LAPTOP??

aldocraig 14:46 16 Feb 2007

Hi

I am looking for a new computer and i am split between a laptop and a desktop. I am a designer and regularly run 3D graphic pakages. Can anyone advise me which is best and what sort of spec i should look for?

Cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:04 16 Feb 2007

If you are a designer you need to be looking at 22/24" widescreen, rotatable monitors which means a desktop.

G

Belatucadrus 15:30 16 Feb 2007

Also find the home page of the graphic packages you run and have a look at the system requirements. Some of them are very RAM hungry indeed.

Totally-braindead 15:39 16 Feb 2007

And further to Belatucadrus point about checking the program requirements take them with a pinch of salt. The program will run with the minimum requirements they state but may run so slowly that you would find the waiting unacceptable. EG if the program says minimum 512mb RAM go for double that or more, if it says 1500 mhz processor go for at least a 2500.
Take what they say it needs and add a good bit more.

terryf 15:47 16 Feb 2007

Think about the smaller keyboard and the touch-pad on a laptop. Also realize that it is difficult if not impossible to hardware upgrade a laptop. Because laptop components are specialized and PC parts are made by the million, pound for pound, you get more 'bangs per buck' with a PC. The only time I would recommend a pc for a designer is if you have a need to make presentations to customers on their site or if like my son, you are invited to Moscow to discuss a design project and even then he uses a PC in the office for his design work.

Belatucadrus 15:48 16 Feb 2007

Not forgetting that the system requirements are only what that particular program will use, you will also need to add the requirements for any other software that will run concurrent with the graphics package, ie Anti virus, Firewall & Windows. Treat RAM requirements as cumulative, add all that you think you'll need, then an expansion margin of at least 10% and that'll give you a ball park minimum figure for what you need to buy.

aldocraig 15:53 16 Feb 2007

I thought a desktop would be best but have always fancied a laptop. I now realise though that a desktop is by far the better choice so i will stick with that.

Cheers for your help

Allan

Pineman100 18:38 16 Feb 2007

I was a designer and photo editor for many years, and I wouldn't even have thought about trying to work on a laptop. You need a proper mouse and good big display.

However, if having a laptop is important to you (important enough to open your wallet wider!) you could buy a laptop and plug a desktop display and mouse into it. That way you'd get the best of both worlds.

If you would be plugging and unplugging these item regularly, you should also consider a docking station for your laptop.

woodchip 20:36 16 Feb 2007

If you do not use out of Doors. Don't bother with a Laptop. Also to add to the Above, If you have Hardware Problems with a Laptop It is often cheaper to go buy a new Laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017